20 - Where Are You?

"An optimist is a fellow who believes a housefly is looking for a way to get out."

- George Jean Nathan

______________________

If I had to make a list of things I definitely didn't want to be doing at the moment, talking to the Council would be on the very top of it.

There was no way around it though, so I found myself in front of the Council hall faster than I liked.

Taking a few deep breaths, I prepared my question.

A sweet smell of cinnamon welcomed me inside. It was worse than my grandma's obsession with candles, and I fought a groan from escaping my lips.

"Harry, it's nice to see you again so soon," Elisa greeted me with a genuine smile and a tray of biscuits in her hands. That at least explained the cinnamon smell.

"It's nice to be back again so soon," I easily lied. "Actually, I have a question. Marie was in Texas with a friend, her name is Gina. We can't find her anymore. Has another Soul Catcher taken her to Shimmerland?"

"Straight forward," she nodded. Her eyes flickered to a corner in the room where Natalie and Merritt were talking secretly. When she met my eyes again, her smile didn't falter. "Yes, Gina has reached us already."

Relief overflowed me immediately. "Thank God. We'll be back with Marie soon, then."

Elisa offered me a biscuit, but I declined politely. With a small two-finger wave, I left the Council hall and half-ran to the bridge.

But before I could step onto the field, a hand on my shoulder stopped me. "Where do you think you're going?"

It was one of those moments where your heart skipped a beat. But since mine didn't beat anymore, I just froze for a moment until my mind connected the voice with a face. "Jonas?"

And sure enough, Jonas stepped in front of me, giving me a half-hug. "Man, where have you been?"

"Italy and Texas," I replied, my lips twitching into a smile.

"Oh, you know, the usual," Jonas laughed, shaking his head. "Where is your better half?"

"In Texas still." Although I hadn't seen Jonas in quite some time, I didn't want to stand around talking with him while I could go back to Elaine and Marie. To get over with the assignment, of course.

"Sometimes I'm wondering if I should ask the Council to change my job. Your life seems far more interesting than mine."

"Not so sure about that," I muttered under my breath, flashbacks of my time in Italy running through my mind.

"Well, I don't want to hold you up. Check back in the bar as soon as possible, 'kay?" He held up his hand for a fist-bump.

"Sure," I replied, connecting our fists.

Jonas watched me for a moment, but then he turned around and waved one last time, walking back to the bar, I assumed.

Without any more distractions, I walked to the bridge and quickly stepped back into the living world, a smile on my lips and my dead heart feeling warm and weightless in my chest.

My feet hit sand and I nearly ran into a slide. Looking around, I recognised the small playground that Marie had led us to.

I was on the lookout for the girls, when I saw Marie sitting on a swing, next to a young boy, probably around 15, who was watching a little girl building a sandcastle.

Marie's side of the swing was nearly coming to a standstill, the wind the only thing keeping it slightly moving. The boy was rocking forth and back a bit, his eyes never leaving what I assumed was his sister.