42 - I Really Like You

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure."

- Bill Cosby

______________________

[Sorry for the long wait - hope the chapter makes up for it. Enjoy!!]

My original plan of going to the study hall jettisoned as I followed Elaine back to Shimmerland.

Honestly, what did it matter how we would have met on earth? Did it really make a difference if we were soulmates or if this all turned out to be a scam after all?

We had each other now, and in my opinion, that was the most important part.

There was no point in living in the future. To some extent, I had done it when I was still alive, and look where it had taken me - to the afterlife.

I wasn't saying that making plans was useless. No, everyone should take a moment to think about the future, but living in the now was the most important key to success in life.

All these thoughts buzzed in my head as my eyes followed Elaine's every step. She smiled brightly at the few souls that still lingered around and happily traced the colourful flowers with their fingertips, embracing Shimmerland's beauty for the first time.

Her laugh was the only sound I noticed and cared about, and her soft voice warmed me on the inside as she spoke to a soul. She guided them to the pathway, following behind the many souls as she gave directions to the Council Hall.

Only when they were nearly out of side did she turn around to questioningly look at me. Raising her eyebrows, she silently asked me if I was coming, but I only shook my head with a small smile, blowing her a kiss.

I knew I had never been much of a mentor to her, especially because I hadn't done this job for long either. I was never supposed to be her mentor, the Council had only wanted to punish us.

But then again, maybe all of this was part of some greater plan. After all, how would we have ended up talking again if we weren't forced to? Our wrong start could have drifted us apart, but if we were truly meant to be, then we would have found a way to each other.

I sighed heavily as Elaine led the souls away. There were too many questions zipping in my mind, but I wouldn't find the answers. Some things were better left unsaid, and questioning everything wouldn't make me feel fulfilled.

Looking back at our time together, I realised how much had happened in the blink of an eye. I found new friends and the love of my life, only to lose her to some dark magic which had been beaten almost immediately.

Oh, and not to forget the many souls we had found and saved.

Afterlife was one hell of an adventure, but just like life, we needed to take a step back and relax. Life and death went hand in hand, and they surely had more in common than people were aware of.

Maybe it was true that we only learned how to treasure things when we lost them.

Life isn't about having the best job and earning the most money. It isn't about having the most friends either, or having too much free time.

Instead, life should be enjoyed to the fullest, never be taken for granted and definitely never be wasted.

One thing I have learned, a lesson that I would remember for the rest of my entity, was the fact that love could conquer all. It didn't matter at what age you found love, or how your love was like. What mattered was that it was there, for everyone.

Beauty and power vanish, friends come and go - only love stayed forever.

I blinked rapidly as the realisation hit me hard. For now, I had a great group of friends - but I've had an amazing group of friends back in life, too. Eventually, we would just live apart and find other friends.