40 - Over Again

“Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.”

- Aristotle

______________________

‘Absolutely perfect’ meant that she disobeyed easily.

I was rather shocked when Elaine appeared right in front of the bridge, the mist trailing behind her. I barely had in mind to stop Josephine from running right against her, preventing a collision in the very last second.

“Elaine, what are you doing here? You’re supposed to rest!” My voice raised a few octaves even though I didn’t mean to sound so patronizing.

“You explain to me why I wake up all alone, then find Cassie in our kitchen only to have her tell me that you’re out and about on an assignment without me,” she fired back, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

I relaxed when I saw that she wasn’t hurt. Not now, at least. I engulfed her in a massive hug and whispered a soft, “I’m sorry, I just worry about you” in her ears. As I pulled back, I kissed her cheek and pushed a few loose strands of her long hair out of her face.

Elaine’s attention wasn’t on me any longer. Her eyes widened as she took in the blonde next to me, and she soon narrowed her eyebrows when she noticed our proximity. I fought my hardest to suppress a sigh, but it was really hard.

“And you are?” Elaine asked, a sharp undertone in her voice.

“I’m Josephine and I guess you’re Harry’s girlfriend,” Josephine replied, not being faced by Elaine’s attitude at all. The fact that she added the girlfriend part showed that she wasn’t looking for a fight and that I had already told her about Elaine. But still.

This was going to be interesting.

Elaine whispered something along the line “damn right, I am” under her breath, but then forced a smile upon her lips and firmly shook Josephine’s hand. “I’m Elaine.”

“Can all souls come back to earth whenever they want to?” Josephine asked her, but Elaine didn’t reply.

Sighing, I stepped in. “Only Soul Catchers. Elaine’s one as well.”

“How convenient. Can the two of you catch souls together?” There was nothing but curiosity in Josephine’s eyes, yet Elaine tensed as if the younger girl had offended her.

I eyed them warily, taking in their contrasts. Blue and brown eyes watched me, awaiting a response. “I’m her mentor, so basically we have to.”

“Wouldn’t want it any other way,” Elaine huffed, a heavy touch of sarcasm in her voice.

My eyes widened momentarily. If I didn’t know any better, I would say Elaine was looking for a fight. For now, I could only ignore her bitter attitude.

Fortunately, Josephine was smart enough to figure out what was going on. “I guess I have somewhere to be, right?”

I nodded and smiled gratefully at her. “After you,” I said, motioning to the bridge.

Josephine took tiny, fast steps and crossed the bridge without hesitation. On the other side, back in Shimmerland, she didn’t stop either. Her eyes rushed across the field, but she didn’t seem to be impressed. Noticing my stare, she shrugged her shoulders. “Don’t really like flowers.”

My grumpy girlfriend was forgotten for the moment as I grinned at the blonde in front of me. “My mum never let me have any in my room. I always forgot to water them and they would die.”

Elaine hummed behind me, her arms crossed in front of her chest as she fixed me with a glare.

I mouthed a silent ‘what’ but she only intensified her glare. How very mature.