13 - Leave Me Alone

"Even death has a heart."

― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

______________________

"What?" Elaine and I asked in unison, disbelief written all over our faces.

"You've got to be kidding me!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands up in the air.

"No way in hell am I spending any more time with that arrogant and narcissistic prick," Elaine spat in rage.

"Watch it, girl," I warned, fixing my eyes on her. "Do you think I want to have anything to do with you?"

"You're the one that got us in this mess in the first place," Elaine complained, crossing her arms in front of her chest again.

"Oh, how so?"

"You could have just left me alone!"

Unbelievable. "I couldn't! The Council told me to get you. It's my job. Wake up, princess, not everything is black and white!"

"You dragged me across the bridge! Instead of telling them that you simply failed, you had to force me!" Elaine was screaming at that point.

But I wasn't any better. "Failing is not on the list of things I like to do. It doesn't matter how long it takes, I have to stay with the soul until it decides to cross."

Elaine's eyes widened in some kind of sudden enlightenment. "Hang on. So basically, if we have a difficult assignment, we could be stuck on earth, together, for God-knows how long?"

Crap, I hadn't even thought about it like that. I nodded, confirming her – and also mine! – biggest fear.

Elaine turned around, facing the Council again. "No, no, no!"

Ten pairs of eyes looked at us, rather amused and content with the situation. They knew exactly what they were doing, and that was the reason why they did it.

"This is going to be great," Elijah whispered, but I still heard him. My glare was now directed at him, but he seemed completely unaffected.

"You will get used to it," Merrill spoke up for the first time since I entered the Council hall.

"Right," Elaine snarled, not making eye contact with anyone.

"I think you will even get along," Elisa added.

Her comment made both Elaine and me laugh. "Of course," we sarcastically said in unison and glared at each other.

A smile played on Elisa's lips but I could tell that she was fighting hard to suppress it.

"That's not all," Isabella said.

"Oh gosh, what else?" I groaned. Okay, actually, it couldn't get worse. Right?

"Given that you two get along just perfectly fine," – note the sarcasm -, "and Elaine is completely new to Shimmerland, she needs a guide." Where was Isabella going with this?

Oh, no. "I'm sure there are people for that." I said in a fake honey-sweet voice.

"Yes, but wouldn't it be nice if you took care of her?" Isabella asked sweetly.

"No," I deadpanned.

"Definitely not," Elaine agreed with me. "I can take care of myself."

Hang on. A guide? I never had one. How unfair.

"This is not a suggestion, this is an order. Harry, Elaine will spend every spare minute with you until further notice." Isabella's voice had changed from a kind, gentle tone to a hard, serious one.