II Chapter 14

Carliene

My eyes shortly grazed the rest of the assembled household that stood off to the right side of the gate. Servants and guards and knights and handmaidens and I tried to make out the sigils on some of the shields, but found myself already overwhelmed. There was still a lot I would have to learn. 

Ser Baelor lead us through the gate, where two colourful litters were waiting at the bottom of a broad and winding pathway leading up into the castle. 

I was more than relieved to see them as Olenna had claimed my arm again and as we followed I realised how slow and frail she really was. 

The litters had been decorated with different coloured roses, no doubt to honer the Tyrells, but the old woman made no comment. 

"I think I understand why your father never leaves his tower" she stated loudly as Ser Baelor offered his hand to help her climb into the first litter. 

"We have prepared our best rooms for your comfort my Lady, there are baths and fresh linens awaiting you and refreshments and food for your entire company" he assured with a smile as the litter was picked up by the servants.

"And the fabrics and parchment I have requested?"

"All awaiting in your chambers" he raised his tone slightly as the litter was carried away. Then his attention turned to me. "Please my Lady" he gestured to the second litter. 

My eyes darted around, noting that besides the two of us there were also his brothers and the Hightower wives. And only one litter. My gaze travelled up the cobbled pathway. 

"Oh I am happy to walk, surely there is someone else who needs it more than I do" I pointed out, gazing over the surrounding faces again, my eyes resting on Baelor's wife. 

"But we have prepared it for you my lady, we are all used to the climb, but after your journey-"

"Lady Rhonda" my eyes were still fixed on the tall woman and the more I studied her the more the small bump in her gown stood out. "You must tire quickly, I would like to offer you my seat" I gestured to the litter. 

Confused and puzzled faces met me,

The woman gave a nervous smile. "That is kind of you my Lady but I assure you that isn't necessary" her hand was placed onto her abdomen almost subconsciously. 

"Is this your first child my Lady?"

She hesitated just a moment before agreeing. 

"Then you will accept my offer and thank me in a few months" I decided, hoping my tone was confident enough to keep her from resisting further. "Besides, a walk will give me a better chance to admire this magnificent home of yours" I added to ease their compliance. 

After another moment hesitation Rhonda Hightower finally accepted to climb into the litter and be carried up into the castle while the rest of the Tyrell company and the Hightower welcome party set into motion to ascend the first level of the tower.

"That was a kind thing you did my Lady" Ser Baelor spoke as we walked and watched the two litters up ahead. "My wife is not one to be of weak stock, but your consideration is admirable" 

"I am just trying to make a good impression" I wasn't sure why I was so honest, but I somehow felt like I did not want to put up a front of false courtesies. At least not with him. 

He surprised me by giving me an authentic chuckle. "I'd say for starters you were succeeding Lady Stark"

Lady Stark. It was good to hear, but I could still not help to think of my mother whenever that title was spoken.