II Chapter 35

Carliene

Maester Lomys raised the torch and squinted his eyes in order to be able to recognise us with his poor eyesight. "'Lady Carliene" he noted confused. "Anything I may help you with dear?"

I meant was still beating rather quick and I found myself at a short loss for words. 

"The Lady has an open blister on her palm" the knight spoke for me, folding his hands behind his back. 

"Oh?" the old man shuffled closer, placing the torch in a sconce on the wall before he reached out to insect my hand. 

I offered my bandaged hand and allowed the maester to inspect it. His hands were cold and bony to the touch. 

"Good work" he decided. "The bandages should be changed twice a day, I'll have your handmaid instructed on it" he pat the back of my hand before letting it go. 

We wished him a good night and left the tower in silence. When we stepped out into the biting cold air, I could still feel my heart beat slightly quicker. Daylight had faded by now and the yards were mostly deserted. 

"Shall I escort you back to your chambers. my Lady?" Ser Vortimer offered. 

I shook my head quickly. "No, that is alright" 

He gave a small smile and a bow. "Good night then" and with that he slipped into the shadows of the buildings. 

I looked up at the starless sky, the silence of the castle wrapping me in calm solitude. I pressed my fingers against my bandaged palm feeling the dull pain and the burning of the paste. Hopefully this wouldn't prove to be too much of a set-back. I met no one as I walked back to my chambers, where I quickly wiped myself down with a wet cloth and dressed in a fresh night gown. I fell asleep holding my own hand. 

Soon I opened my eyes to find myself standing in the foggy meadow again. And once again Bran emerged from the fog, moving as silent as a shadow.

"What is this place?" I looked around at the thick white surrounding us and the soggy grass beneath our feet. 

He looked around as well. "I don't know. This is a place in our mind"

That confused me. "I don't recognise it"

He shrugged. "Something your subconscious has picked up" he suggested. "Maybe one day you will recognise it"

My gaze wandered again but everything was still as unrecognisable as before. Did the fog mean anything? "You say this is in my mind, does that mean you are inside my head?" I tested. 

He gave a hint of a pleased look, crossing his arms behind is back. "I am in your dream, which happens in your head"

"Can I visit your dreams?"

His expression grew serious. "No"

"Why?" I sensed there was something suspicious about his reaction. 

"It would be too dangerous"

I felt like there was something he wasn't telling me. "Why? Why isn't it dangerous in my dreams?" I demanded a little pridefully. 

"There is too much I know" he stated matter-of-fact. "You are not yet ready for some of the truths"

I could feel myself grow frustrated. "Well that is just cruel" I complained. "My curiosity will keep me up all night" 

"You are asleep right now" he did not say it in the tone of a joke, but none the less I found myself chuckling. 

Then I though of something. "What of Sansa and Jon?" my heart quickened with excitement. "Could I visit their dreams?"