II Chapter 41

Carliene

I had lunch with Desmera, deciding not to let all the food go to waste. After that I went to my chambers to change into my training gear, even though my handmaiden made it a point to remind me more than once that it was too early. For a moment I thought about going on another ride, but I did not wish to accidentally run into Randyll Tarly again. So I covered myself in a large black cloak and headed to the godswood instead. It was past time that I talked with Bran again. 

The woods were comfortably deserted again and there wasn't even a ripple on the surface of the little pond in front of the weirwoods. They were called the three singers, as I had found out. I took a knee in front of the pool, feeling far more comfortable doing this in my riding gear. Lowering my head I closed my eyes. 

When I rose again and opened them I was in the foggy meadow, a little surprised at how easily I could locate this place in my mind by now. I turned once, scanning all my surroundings, but Bran was not around. I could feel that fact more than I could see it. There was nothing else to orient myself, only the white fog and the green meadow and I wondered if maybe this went on forever. Maybe this wasn't a real place and there wasn't supposed to be any more to it. But something pulled at me. some deep and ancient force and it made me walk ahead. I was careful not to sink into the muddy meadow and get stuck as I advance through the thick fog. Something was calling to me, something large and ancient. Looming over me with a hundred arms that reached into the sky like dark shadows in the fog. It was alive, but not in the way man or animal was alive.

Before whatever it was could emerge from the mist, I felt Bran's presence appear behind me. I turned around and smiled at him, somehow relieved to see him. "Bran" I greeted as I approached him, while he just studied me in silence. You are late, I wanted to tell him, but I was unsure if time was even a concept wherever we were. "What were you doing?" I asked instead. 

He looked around, his gaze distant even though there wasn't much of a view. "Watching" he stated simply. "Observing, it is most of what I do" 

My brows furrowed. "Who do you watch?" I could feel my palm grow moist at the thought of him watching me every day. When I was sleeping, when I was quarrelling with the Lords of the South.. when I was with Ser Vortimer. 

"The past, the present, what happens at Dragonstone and beyond the wall"

My attention perked up. "And?"

This time he smiled. A smile that looked almost to be pitiful. "There is no need for you to concern yourself with the weigh of the world just yet" he assured. "Concentrate on yourself and your close surroundings" 

I clenched my yaw in slight frustration. "I want to tell them" I admitted. "I have to tell them don't I?" I rephrased a little desperately. "They all prepare for a siege at King's Landing and they throw all caution about winter to the side" I complained, bruising my hair from my face. "If there was only a way I could... I could show them. Somehow make them understand.." I trailed off as I paced before him. "Maybe if I prove it to them, if I show them how I can control animals, they would have to believe me then wouldn't they?" 

He gave a small chuckle, my distress clearly doing nothing but amuse him. "You will have your time" he spoke in a promising tone. "For now you need to be patient"

I balled my fists. "But I did what you asked, I practiced my warging.."

"Practicing and using it are two different things"

I frowned at him again. "What is that supposed to mean?" 

"All things have their times, for now your place is exactly where you are"