Chapter 7

Carliene

I stood on the balcony looking over the clear blue sea. The fresh wind blew across my face and I closed my eyes taking a deep breath, it felt so good to finally be out of that confining room. 

"Beautiful isn't it?" Ser Eran Hill had turned out to be quite the talker, which I did not see as a valuable personal trait, but as I clearly had no say in the choosing of my company there was nothing I could do but listen and give short answers. 

"Its a vast pool of water, I don't really see any beauty in that" I muttered honestly. 

He chuckled and leaned down on the rail with his forearms. "Does it scare you?" he teased. 

I shrugged. "It just doesn't spark my interest" I responded unmoved. 

"Ah so you are one of those Ladies" he nodded in understanding. 

"What Ladies?" I frowned. 

"Oh you know, the ones who act all tough and then go writing hopeless love letters and rubbing their cunts to the thought of all the pretty boys at night" he smirked. 

I shook my head and looked away at the see again. "You really like hearing yourself talk"

"I could sing if you prefer it my Lady, I am actually an excellent singer" he boasted putting his hand on his chest. 

I turned away from the railing and walked along the balcony and down some steps that led back into a small courtyard again. 

"How did you ever come to be a knight?" I questioned confused. 

He shrugged "I managed to survive a war and I suppose they couldn't have me squiering forever."

"I suppose not" I agreed uninterested and growing more bored with the conversation. Being outside my confinement and being able to see the caste of the warden of the west was thrilling, don't get me wrong, but I really could have done it without such a loud shadow. 

"See my mother was Laureen Lannister - I doubt you've ever heard of her, barely related to the Lannisters of Casterly Rock - and she made the mistake to lying with someone who wasn't royal or her husband and get pregnant by him. She died giving birth to me witch was probably really smart of her and saved her a lifetime of shame and mockery, but I was left without any hope of ever being legitimised."

I really don't care, is all I could think as he told me his life story. I almost said it out loud, but then I remembered that I was actually not a cruel person and that maybe having some sort of ally could turn out quite useful, even if this knight was just another Lannister spawn.

"...but since I am still a natural son of a Lannister they at least gave me the title of Ser. I have no wife I have no Lands, but I have a Ser in front of my name which I suppose gives me the honour of becoming the personal guard of the future Lady Lannister of Casterly Rock." he bowed dramatically. 

A knot formed in my throat and belly at his words, but for the first time there was no anger boiling up inside of me. "Why are they all staring at me?" I asked unsure as we passed a group of ladies in colourful dresses that had their eyes practically glued to me, not even lowering their gaze as our eyes met. 

"Well it's not every day we see a wolf here in our den" Ser Eron said as if it were obvious. "I don't think their great grandfathers remember the last time a Stark has walked the halls of Casterly Rock, and I bet it has never happened that a lion and wolf were actually wed here" 

"Right" I muttered quickly looking at the floor. 

"The common folk actually believe its bad luck and that only bloodshed can come from two beasts marrying each other"