Chapter 37

Carliene

Searching the docks at night proved to be more difficult than I had imagined, especially with the fog, steadily rolling in from the sea. We dismounted and went on foot, still everything looked different from a human's point of view. Even through the fog I could see that the eastern sky was growing brighter and as it did the mood of Commander Vylarr turned more sour.

"Why didn't you tell me about this?" Ser Euron demanded at the first chance he got. 

I sighed. "Because you never would have taken me to Lannisport" 

"Damn right I wouldn't have!" his voice became heated, yet he kept it low so the red cloaks wouldn't hear. "This is madness, do you know how much trouble you are causing? They'll send me to the wall for taking you!"

"Give my brother my love then" I had no time to deal with him at the moment. I needed to concentrate. The sun would peak over the hills at any moment and I still didn't recognise anything from my dream.
I looked around a bit desperate, seeing the handful of guards all spread out over the docks, following the commanders orders and looking in storage and through barrels and boxes. I took a deep breath, as if the stench of death could lead me to that horrible place again, but the only thing I caught was the fresh breeze drifting in from the sea.

I could already see Vylarr frowning at the brightening sky and turning towards me when one of his men called out to us. "Over here!"

My heart fluttered in my chest as we hurried over to the call. The building was larger than I would have thought, made of thick wood, partially covered in seaweed at the bottom where it stood close to the waves. The guards had already forced their way through the doors but came stumbling back as we reached them. They were pressing their gloved hands over their nose and mouth, one of the coughing in disgust.
The next breeze let us share in their experience as the stench of death and sickness rolled heavily from the old shed. 

"Bring some light!" commander Vylarr called between coughs.
Torches were brought and the city watch stepped inside, pressing cloths or their hands before their noses.

I stepped towards the entrance, curious on how accurate my vision had been to the reality when a hand grabbed my lower arm. 

"Don't" Euron's voice was almost pleading. 

I sighed noiselessly and decided to tame my curiosity. I shook of his hand and crossed my arms instead, watching as the inside of the building was illuminated and hearing the commanders voice call out harsh commands.

"How did you know?" the knight's voice sounded absent minded. 

I was the rat!

It didn't matter. I was right and I had proved it.

The commander left the shed, sending two guard to come back with more men and to get the healers. Then he turned to us with a clenched yaw. He hated that I was right. Under these circumstances I supposed I could understand.
"This is a mess" he muttered. "I suspect pox as you said"

I nodded, trying not to look too content. 

"We'll have to close this part of the docks, I only hope it hasn't spread already" he looked around slightly nervous.

Just then the first rays appeared over the hills, cutting white streaks into the fog.

"The merchant was trading leather and skins" I suddenly recalled. "Maybe you should check if he sold anything"

The man studied me for a moment, looking down over his crooked nose. He seemed to struggle with his pride for a moment, before he nodded. "Get the harbour master!" he called to one of his men. "And send a raven to Casterly Rock"

I felt strangely calm. As though a heavy burden had been lifted from my body. All the worry all the plotting had finally payed off. And even though we had just discovered a building full of the dead and dying, I felt almost happy. 

"I'll have some guards escort you back to mu quarters" Vylarr said gesturing towards one of his passing men. 

"But I can-"

He immediately cut me off. "This changes nothing" he announced bitterly. "I will still be taking you back to the rock once this mess is sorted out" he looked around already a fatigue showing in his eyes as he eyed the harbour shed. "Until then you are to remain at the barracks" he turned to me and pointed a long skinny finger at me. "Don't try anything again or I will throw you in a cell" he threatened.

I clenched my jaws and held back a smart comment, mostly because I couldn't think of one. I didn't much care. I suddenly felt the lack of sleep wash over me and followed willingly as the guard ushered us back to the horses. 

The sun was steadily melting the fog away, but the city as still quiet, most of its inhabitants still asleep. I looked at the grey, yellow, and red walls of the buildings. Wondering behind which door or window another sick person lay. What if we had already been infected? What if the merchant had sold linen to the city guard? What if it was the linen that was on my bed? I shook my head, trying to discard such troubling thoughts. It would be smarter to wait before our return though, just to make sure none of us had contracted it.

"You still haven't told me how you knew about this" Ser Euron fell in beside me on his horse.

"I didn't" I said honestly, as I looked at a couple of bright red flowers in the window of a building we passed. "It was just a hunch" I straightened in the saddle, swallowing a yawn. 

The knight chewed on that for a moment. I could feel a thousand questions brewing up inside him.

"You're not going to get into any trouble" I continued before he could speak again. "You helped stop a tragedy from happening" at least I hope. "They'll probably knight you for this" I finished tiredly. I hope that calmed him down.

"I'm already a knight" he responded after a moment of confused silence. 

I chuckled at my mistake. "Right. Sorry. I'm tired" I sighed.

He seemed to be content with that and held his tongue for the rest of the ride. At the city guard's quarters I let the red cloak lead me straight to my room, not before I requested my companions were also given some more suitable lodgings.

A slightly sour smell hung in the air as I entered the small chamber. My eyes travelled into the corner next to the door. I had forgotten all about throwing up this moment. It was because of my dreams, I told myself. Dreams that weren't quite dreams.
I pressed a hand to my forehead as I undid my cloak with the other. I had no noticeable temperature. "Stop pissing yourself, you're not sick" I told myself. I was just tired. I decided, slipping from my shoes and pants and crawling into the uncomfortable bed. The sun began to sea in through the folds in the curtain as I pulled the sheets over myself.

I deserved a rest. Recalling the events of the last days I could feel my chest fill with pride.

You will always be my daughter. 

Yes I will.