Chapter 13

Jamie

I paced in the hall nervously. Laying out the words in my head once again. It had been too long since I talked to her, but every day I postponed it would only make the eventual encounter worse. You've forsaken every vow you ever took, I could still hear her mothers words as if it were yesterday. Not this one, I thought. I would keep my word to Cathlyn Stark and at least keep one of her daughters safe. Taking a deep breath I finally turned the corner and passed the guards, opening the heavy door quickly before I would change my mind again. 

She was sitting over the book I have her, still in her night gown. At my sudden entering she got up baking away almost in fear. 

"Have you come to have your way with me" she asked emotionless. 

I frowned shaking my head, uncomfortable as images of our wedding night appeared in my mind. "No" I traced my hand along the door awkwardly. Carliene sat down on the bed crossing her arms. The days of confinement had not been kind to her. She had bags under her eyes, her hair was in a tangle and she was only wearing a white night gown. "I wanted to ask if you would like to have dinner with me" I continued, my phantom hand flexing. 

"Does it matter what I want" she snapped annoyed. 

"Well if you prefer you could have your super brought to your chamber again" I suggested looking around the small room. 

She chewed on her lower lip grumpily. "Fine" she muttered.

I bowed, slightly relieved it hadn't ended in shouting. "I will see you there." I let out a breath of air as I closed the door behind me again and walked along the hallway. I was relieved it did not go as horribly as he had pictured. I ordered the next servant I came across to have a bath prepared for the girl, seeing that she desperately needed one and hoping it would soften her mood. Cercei was always in a better mood after a hot bath and a good scrub. And she smelled so good after them. I will gut the bitch if I ever see her, she had told me as I had explained to her what father had planned. At our parting she had pressed a small vile into my good hand. The tears of Lys it was called. No one will know, she had whispered into my ear followed by: come back to me, a demand I would so gladly follow. 

Hurrying up a flight of steps I flexed my phantom hand. Kingslayer, oathbreaker, man without honour, I could hear them already. I had told Cercei once that I would kill every single person until the two of us were the only ones left alive. What had happened to those days? You've forsaken every vow you ever took. And for all her honour and righteousness, Lady Stark had still been killed like a peasant. 

"My Lord" the maesters high pitched voice pulled me from my thoughts and I stopped to turn. The short fat man was struggling to catch up, completely out of breath. "There are some matters of finances I need to discuss with you" he explained wheezing for air. "Also I once again urge you to not postpone the hearing any further, the people are getting restless, justice must be se-"

"I will get to it soon I promise" I said continuing on. 

"But Lord Jamie, it's almost been a week since your lord father left and you have yet to sign the mining papers, and serve as justice between the common folks quarrels" he insisted, following my step. 

An oathbreaker serving as justice, I shook my head at how ironic that was. "I will see to it first thing tomorrow" I assured, hoping to get rid of the man, he reminded me of a fat fly, buzzing around a pile of shit. This is why I don't want to be lord of anything.