Chapter 55

Carliene

The next days proved rather a bit chaotic. At first I was told the Lannisters were preparing to travel to King's Landing for the funeral, but the amount of things they were packing told a different story. They loaded large wagons with chest after chest and even some furniture. At times I wondered wether I should be packing as well, though no one had said anything to me.

So I found myself sitting in the maester's chamber once more.

"Do the Lannisters mean to move to the capital indefinitely?" I asked him as he tended to my hand. 

"Lord Kevan wishes to attend his brother's funeral, as is understandable. After that I can imagine there are still a few arrangements to be made" Creylen skilfully said without actually answering my question. 

"What kind of arrangements?"

He chuckled. "You are rather curious" he noted. "Maybe you should ask Lord Kevan himself" He rewrapped my hand. Then he raised my chin to look at my eye. "It looks rather frightening"

His honesty surprised me a little. "Good" I turned my head from his touch.

He hummed to himself again and cleaned my old bandage and the tool he had used. I tanked him and went out into the rookery, deciding to pay a visit to the raven.

"Crow! Crow! Crow" it greeted me, flapping its uninjured wing.

"Raven. Raven. Raven" I retorted and held out my good had to him. 

"Feed?" it eyed my hand before pecking at my fingers carefully.

I shook my head. "Sorry, I'll smuggle you out a piece of bread next time" I promised with a smile, finding it a good idea. 

I tired pulling my hand away but to my surprise the raven hopped onto it with surprising accuracy. I tensed at the feeling of its claws against my naked skin, not sure how I felt about it suddenly being so close to me. I heard of ravens pecking out peoples eyes.

"Feed?" it turned its head to look at me. 

I took a few steps to the balcony, fascinated with how the bird balanced on my arm as I walked. Some lords liked hunting with falcons or eagles and I suddenly understood what was so special about owning a bird. A tame bird. For they are creatures who can sail through the sky, the culmination of freedom. And yet they bend to your will and are tame to you. It is a very arrogant thing to do.
A small commotion in the yard bellow caught my eye. It was Lord Kevan yelling at a servant boy who was holding a crate of something. I couldn't tell what exactly the commotion was about, but I had the feeling that it wasn't anything too major. Still Kevan's face was red with anger and his arms were thrown around in wild gestures.

His grief shows as anger, I realised. I could almost pity him. But my private joy overthrew pity. I was glad Tywin was dead. He had planned the atrocities done to my family after all. And I could still feel my cheek burning from where he had slapped me.

I only wish I could have looked into his eyes as he died. To see his fear when he realised that it was all ending.

"You can shit gold all you want, look where it gets you" I said to the raven as I walked it back to it's seat. "The mighty Tywin is dead and I'm still standing" I whispered to it almost giddily.

"Crow" I squeaked as it stepped onto the iron pole and turned around to see wether I had anything of interest in my hand now.

"Until next time my feathery friend" I said to it before leaving the tower. 

As I got to the bottom I noticed Ser Oliver leaning against the wall of a neighbouring building. He was already deep in his wineskin again. 

The sellsword, the knight and the drunk, someone should really write a song about my guards.