Chapter 14

Carliene

I pulled at the uncomfortable dress. All this time in my night grown and almost caused me to grow unaccustomed to the confinement of a closet. The dress was an ugly thing again, yellow with a brown corsets covered in an evergreen-leaf pattern. My hair was up in a knot, I had managed to keep Iryn from braiding it up into some strange southron shape. She had been way too enthusiastic in dressing me up. "Oh you look so lovely" she had beamed when she was done and looked at her work. 

I had expected a table of Lannisters, whom I would spend the evening with not speaking a word just exchanging glares. But when I entered the dining hall it was only the Kingslayer waiting for me. 

"My Lady" he smiled and pulled out a seat for me. Unsure of the situation I walked over slowly, taking a seat as I looked at the festively decorated table. 

"Are those lemon cakes?" I questioned bending over the table to have a better look. 

"Indeed, I had the cook make some fresh as I've heard you like them" he said almost proudly as he took his own seat.

My gaze turned to him. "No" I disagreed sitting up straight. "Sansa liked them" I corrected, clenching my teeth. 

"Oh" he seemed taken aback and we both stared at our plates for a moment. 

"Have you any word of her?" the questioned came out more desperate and more vulnerable as I thought, and I wanted to bit my tongue off for it.

He looked up taking a deep breath. "I'm afraid not" he picked up the whine goblet and reached over to fill my glass clumsily, having troubles keeping his left hand steady. "But I have someone looking for her" he stated as he fills this own glass. 

"What will you do with her once you find her?" I asked taking my glass. 

He thought for a moment. "I promised your mother to return her daughters to her" he mumbled setting down the goblet. 

"So you'll kill her" I stated directly, a knot forming in my throat. 

He chuckled unamused. "No I won't"

"Why?" I demanded, he looked at me confused at my directness. "They say she killed Joffrey"

He shook his head. "They say a great many things, all lies and fables. No, I don't believe your sister could hurt a fly"

I nodded, the throat in my knot growing tighter. I'll be safe here, Stannis won't hurt me, those were the last words she said to me, refusing my help to flee the city and return to our Family. "He wasn't a fly" I mumbled. "He was a monster" I glared up at him. 

He sighed and leaned back. "Will you blame me for that too?"

"No, I'm trying to make you understand that, had I had the opportunity I would have killed him without a second thought" 

"Tell me Lady Carliene, do you think of me as a monster" he questioned with a frown, setting his arms up on the armrests of his chair. 

I chewed on my lower lip, not needing much time to think. "Yes"

"So would you kill me without a second thought given the opportunity?"

"I already had the opportunity" I pointed out. 

"So why not take it?" I pushed. "If I am so terrible in your eyes why not drive the sword through my heart and spare you all the drama?" 

"They would just find someone else to replace you, might just be your father got the idea to wed me and I really am not in the mood for that" I was dead serious but his face lit up in amusement.