II Chapter 29

Carliene

I leaned on the balcony of my chambers, from there I could see the treetops of the godswood and the red leave of the weirwoods were almost like a beacon. I didn't want to go to the feats, I'd much rather see Bran again, even though I had no idea if I could replicate what happened that morning. 

"What about this?" Desmera steppe dup next to me, gesturing to her throat where a brilliant neckpiece of white pearl and pale sapphires hung. A bold silver ring adorned her finger and there as a pearl headpiece in her hairdo. 

I gave her an annoyed glance. "I told you to send it back" I reminded her for the second time. 

The jewellery boxes and bags had been waiting in my chambers upon my return. A gift from my betrothed as my handmaiden explained. It looked to be a lifetime's worth of gold and silver and all the gems one could think of. And according to Desmera most of it had belonged to Margery or her mother.

"Do you know how much this is worth?" she tested a little disappointed. "The singers would sing songs of your beauty until the end of time of you wore such gems" 

"I don't want anyone to sing songs about me" I pushed past her angrily and returned into the chambers. But there the boxes and jewellery waited for me and I balled my fists. No doubt this was some twisted way of trying to make up for denying me something useful like learning how to fight. "And I don't want to wear someone else jewellery" I added, closing the box on the table in front of me with a loud thud.

"Fine" the redhead agreed with a sigh of defeat and took of the neckpiece. "I suppose your dress will have to make up for the splendour then" she decided. "So that everyone recognises who you are"

I let myself fall onto the cushioned bench. "I don't think anyone will have a hard time with that"

"I was always jealous of my cousin for all the nice things she had" Desmera admitted as a few servants began carrying the gifts out of my chambers again. "Tell me is this part of some kind of power play?" 

"What?"

"Is this your way at playing hard to please with your husband-to-be?" she elaborated with a mischievously amused tone. 

"Of course not" I exclaimed slightly outraged. "I told you, it would just feel wrong to me to ear something that belonged to people who are now dead. I don't think it would carry on their memory very well"

She watched the last of the boxes be carried out before she sunk onto the the bench. "You are northerners sure are strange"

And how many northerners have you met to be able to make such claims?

"But I like that you are not so easily bought" she added, which I appreciated. "Shall e pick out a fine dress then?" she demanded, branching over to the wardrobe. "Maybe something in the Tyrell colours, that would certainly turn heads" 

A woman can say a lot by the colours she wears and when's he wears them. I thought I read that in a book somewhere. "I don't feel like going" I admitted a little sheepishly. 

"Why-ever not?" I did not look her way but could tells he was displeased. 

Because I am sick of their staring. The way talk and make jokes behind my back. I can feel the distrust and suspicion in them. I don't feel welcome. "I dislike the attention" 

Desmera laughed. "Do you know how many maidens would like to be in your stead right now?" 

And I'd gladly trade with them. But I shouldn't be ungrateful, mother taught me better than that.