II Chapter 20

Carliene

"Samwell" I called as I hurried down the steps, amazed at how far they had already managed to get. "Samwell Tarly!" 

He turned around, as did the archmaester a few feet further down the steps. 

I reached him just slightly out of breath, but relieved that I hadn't stumbled on my quick descend. 

"A word?" I requested, hoping his master would have the heart to grant him the time. 

The old man gave a sullen nod when Tarly looked his way and I nearly jumped in excitement like a little girl. I guided him further down the stairwell and into the next best hall, deciding to slowly walk towards the lower courtyard.

"You knew Jon?" I started rather bluntly. 

His features softened. "Yes" he agreed. "We took our vows together" he said almost proudly. Then his expression got more serious. "He saved my life more than once"

There were so many questions rushing through my mind. I didn't even know where to start, I wanted to know everything. 

"How is he?" there was a strange urgency in may voice and by the way he looked at me I think he understood where it was coming from. 

He gave a small smile. "Well" he passed a moment before shrugging. "I think. He was Lord Commander when I left"

We walked out into the yard and my eyes squinted at the sudden brightness of the sun. My little brother a Lord Commander. My chest filled with pride. 

"And now he is King in the North" Samwell pointed out shaking his head slightly. "I still can't believe it" 

"Does he still have his direwolf?" I don't know why that was a questions I posed, when other could have been way more important. 

"Oh Ghost?" he stated excited. "Of course he does, hardly goes anywhere without him. Loyal beast" his gaze became distant. "He's also saved my life a couple of times"

"Ghost" I breathed, seeing the small pup trail across the yard of Winterfell, more brown than white from all the mud. 

"My Lady?"

I realised that my vision got blurry and I quickly looked up and sniffled, taking a deep breath to force back the emotions and the tears. "Sorry" I told him. "It's just.." I hesitated a moment trying to understand these sudden feelings. ".. I really miss him" I stated. 

His brown eyes held a warmth to them. "He misses you too" he assured. 

I looked away, rubbing my cheeks as I feared I was making a grand fool of myself again, giving this poor fellow the impression that he needed to comfort me.

"We are encouraged to leave behind our old lives at the wall" he began to explain. "There is no need to remember your family if you are never going to see them again" he sounded slightly glum. "But I know that Jon could never let you go"

It filled my heart with sadness as I thought of the boy, not a man grown yet, promising his life away, all alone at the wall. 

"Your brothers, your sistsers, your father" he shook his head. "Even Jon would have nearly deserted after hearing of your father's execution"

I nodded sadly and we walked in silence for a bit. 

"You look like him you know" he noted almost sheepishly. "Prettier though.. I mean you are a girl.. m-my Lady" stumbled over his words growing red again. 

I took hold of his fumbling hands and gave him a smile full of gratitude. "Thank you Samwell Tarly"

He calmed and I noticed even his shoulders relaxed. "Please, call me Sam"