III Chapter 6

Jamie

I studied the Crossroads Inn as I rode by. There was a large crowd gathered around it. All the men hoping for a chance to spend a night in a feather bed and enjoy a pie or two from the inn's kitchen. I guided Honour on, knowing fully well that there would be no space for redcloaks. A group of dull-eyed children studied me as I passed the stables, eyeing the golden lion on my armour and my crimson cloak. 

It had began to snow. Not enough to cover the ground, but enough to soak my cloak. Before approaching my own tent I made sure to ride through the entirety of my host again. Something that was not so easily done, as our crimson tents were fitting in between those of the other hosts. Since the armies main concern was crossing the Red Fork, the order of the last few days had been broken, meaning everyone was intermingling with everyone. And although I had tried to keep my men together, there were small groups of red tents sprouting up here and there between the Unsullied or the Riverlanders. It wasn't chaos, but it was enough confusion to worry me. This can breed trouble.

Before I could grow too nervous I found myself slightly relaxed and amused by a familiar figure. The Greyjoy boy was sitting by himself, working on his sword with an oil cloth. As I approached I searched his surroundings, but the Stark girl was nowhere in sight. He noticed me when I dismounted, watching me as I let Honour graze and walked up to him. 

"And who are you planing on sticking that into?" I nodded at the simple steel sword. 

"What do you want?" his right hand closed around the hilt of his sword. Had he been his uncle it would have troubled me greatly, but I found that there was nothing threatening about Theon Greyjoy. 

"You are always following the Stark girl around like a little pup, any idea where I might find her?" I looked around again. It would be good to talk with her before any trouble started in the unorganised camp. 

"Why?" he tested, eyeing me. 

I flexed my phantom hand. "I need to speak with her" 

He squinted his eyes at me. "What if she doesn't want the same?"

He was beginning to annoy me. Who was he to judge me. "Look.." I decided to try and remain civilised. "Like it or not we are all on the same side now, which means we will have to communicate somehow" And that included the Stark girl. If she was charged with making everyone get along then she owed me a conversation at least. 

The boy scoffed, looking back down at his blade. 

I could feel anger rise up in my gut. "Don't pretend you are so innocent" I barked at the lad. "I remember very vividly how you advised Robb Stark to take my head when I was captured and my men were slaughtered" What an annoying little shit he had been then. Maybe he was growing back into that now. 

"Yes, and maybe he should have listened to me" he agreed giving me a glare. 

"And maybe he should not have trusted you at all and Winterfell would never have burned to the ground" I retorted. "Or you could have died with your precious Robb at the Red Wedding, never having to lose what you lost" I raised brow and gave a telling glance at his lower region. "Some say death is kinder" That should put him in his place. "I can imagine death is kinder" If it was between my sword hand and my dick, I was certain I would chose my hand. 

He was silent for a moment, chewing on his words as I saw the anger rise in him as well. "Well, from one cripple to another" he gave me a pointed look. "At least I can still strangle a man" there was a hint of threat in his tone.

It only made me laugh. "I might not be able to strangle you with this" I raised my golden hand. "but I bet your jaw will break easily at its touch" 

He looked at my hand a hint fo fear in his gaze for a moment and his resolve crumbled slightly. before I could revel in my triumph he rose. "And you wonder why I keep you away from Carliene" he mumbled, turning to walk away from me.