Chapter Seven

MARIANA

After my confusing—and rather unfinished—night with Wolff, I came to a few conclusions. First, I realized that my situation was far better than what it would have been if two strangers hadn't brought me here. Who was I kidding? I couldn't stay at a hotel with only a few American dollars in my pocket or survive on free drinks from men who liked to flirt. Wolff gave me his guest room. He bought me designer clothes. He served me full meals. And in return, I only had to give him my virginity. Would I be stupid to refuse his proposition?

Second, if I say no, sign the NDA and leave, I would have no place to stay. I could get a job somewhere, sure, but until then, what will I eat, wear, and—God, I couldn't. I had to say yes.

Third, Wolff wasn't as dangerous as I thought he was. I didn't know why I pictured him as a violent person, no less than a monster when he offered to buy my virginity. He wouldn't touch me, wouldn't even come close to me. When he wanted to, he would leave. He was the embodiment of self-control. I didn't even need the tazers and pocket knives in the first place.

And fourth, I had enjoyed the way he looked at my lips—a confirmation that I had gone insane.

Dear god, they must have been putting something in the water I was drinking. Or the tea I had guzzled last night. Because seeing him looking longingly at my lips like he could already taste me, did something to me. Something I had never felt with Louis. Or anyone.

I had to stand and step away before I could mindlessly utter something like Yes, yes, I accept your proposition. Just please, kiss me. I want to know how it feels.

"Before anything, I would like to apologize for how I acted that morning in the office." Axel came up behind me in his usual work clothes. "It was unprofessional and I promise you, it will never happen again, miss Mirabella."

I nodded and nodded once more, still entrapped in my thoughts. "Hey, can I ask you something?"

Axel's brows shoot up, probably surprised at how quickly I was letting the conflict between us go. I couldn't care less, actually. He seemed like a highly reasonable person. "What is it?"

"What's wrong with Wolff?"

His shoulders tensed as soon as the words left my mouth. "I'm afraid that is not an information I'm allowed to disclose."

I frowned. "Okay, but what if I wanted to help?"

His brows shoot up once more, eyes slightly widening. "You have agreed to his proposition?"

"Why would agreeing to it would help him?" How could sex help him when he looked like what he needed was care and an awfully warm warm hug last night?

Axel cleared his throat and readjusted his tie. "If you wish to know, you may ask Wolff himself. But you have to sign the NDA before he tells you anything."

That goddamn NDA. What was so wrong with him that required to be kept a secret?

I opened my mouth to answer but our attention turned to the the hallway on the right to where Wolff was walking from. He was in his usual half-formal attire with his slacks and black button-down, sleeves pushed to his elbows. My gaze ran along the length of his forearms, veins and lean muscles covered them. An image of strength on their own.

"Mariana, please come to my office. I'd like to discuss my proposition." Were his only words directed to me as he walked past us.

•••

"WHAT?" For a second, I thought Axel was about to lose his cool again and walk out pissed. But he stayed rooted at his position, hovering over Wolff's desk with a dumbfounded look on his face.