Chapter Twenty-one

MARIANA

"Camping?" Wolff asked again for the third time since we entered the kitchen. "Do you really want to sleep in a tent and catch a cold, or worse, a fever?"

Well, if he put it like that, no. Although I had thought it would have been romantic, my main goal was to get him out of this house—away from a certain person posing as a loyal companion.

I couldn't care less if we sleep in a tent, the backseat of his car or cheap-ass motels.

I wanted Wolff to know about what Axel did but for some reason, I still couldn't. Perhaps it was because deep down, I knew how much he trusted Axel and ruining that kind of bond between them would break him the most.

I just had to veer that connection to me. I had to make Wolff trust me better than he ever did Axel.

That way, maybe when the time comes, Axel's betrayal wouldn't hurt him that much knowing that he has me on his side.

"Do you have a better idea?" I asked as I browsed the contents of the fridge for a quick breakfast option. "I'm good with anything as long as I get to spend time with you outside this house."

A few silent moments passed until Wolff spoke, "Yeah, actually I do." I turned around to see a small smile on his face, softening his features. "We can rent a lakeside cabin. I know just the perfect place."

Excitement blooms throughout my entire body. "Are we going to start wearing flannels and sip hot coco out of each other's mug?"

Wolff did a full-on grin and spread his arms open. "Come here."

I closed the space between us and tucked my head under his chin, burying my smile against his chest. It was so warm in his arms that I could stay here forever.

"When are we leaving?" I cooed, hoping the answer would be as soon as possible.

"Tonight. I'll have Axel drive—"

"Wolff." I broke away from the hug.

"What?"

"Can't we drive by ourselves? I mean, that's part of the whole experience. We don't need him." I might have been speaking higher and louder than I intended because Wolff started frowning and looking at me as if he's trying to decipher the emotions behind my eyes.

"Hey," he reached out with a soft voice, cupping my cheeks in hands just as soft. "What's wrong?"

I quickly shook my head and averted my eyes, afraid that he'd see through my lie. "I just...I wanted it to be special. I've never been on a date and I-I want to enjoy it without feeling like a child in need of supervision."

As soon as I said those words, Wolff ran a hand through his face, a grim expression blanketing his features. I could see the struggle in his eyes and knew that I was making this difficult for him, but I needed to go through with my plan.

"Nothing bad's going to happen, Wolff. I promise." I pinned him with honest eyes, inching closer until my lips were a fraction away from his mouth. "You can never hurt me. You know why?"

He inhaled a sharp breath and rasped, "Why?"

"Because I'd embrace your dark side." I dared to inch dangerously closer, much like presenting myself to a wolf barring his teeth. Oh, the irony.