Chapter Twenty-two

WOLFF

Mariana was asleep on the passenger's seat. Her head was pressed against the window, a curtain of her hair blocking her face from the gleam of the golden sunset seeping through the windshield. I reached out, tucking those wavy locks behind her ear. I almost felt apologetic when she stirred but I felt happy when she blinked sleepily at me and grinned, her flushed cheeks stretching upwards.

"Are we almost there?" She asked through a yawn.

"Not yet. It's pretty far. We'd probably get there around eight. Want to get something on the road?"

She nodded, eyes widening in glee at a sight outside the window. "Let's stop there. That looks interesting." She pointed to a roadside diner with neon lights and fairy lights illuminating its main entrance.

I suppressed a laugh as I pulled up in the parking lot. "Very Christmas-y."

"Indeed." Mariana giggled as we both got out out of the car. She huddled next to me as soon as we're out and warmth spread through my chest, along with pride at the fact that there's a beautiful woman in my arms.

Mine.

The sudden possessiveness that gripped me shocked me. Was I right to think that she's mine when I pretty much paid for her?

Would she even be here if I hadn't offered money in exchange for her virginity?

Would she have stayed?

Shit. What Axel said this morning was messing with my head. I couldn't help it. Yet something in the way Mariana held me, the way she clung to my arm and peered up at me with a bright smile, gave me a bit of reassurance—enough to refrain me from stopping and turning back home.

I could do this. Right now, I could pretend that nothing before this moment existed. That I wasn't an addict and Mariana wasn't just with me because she signed some contract on paper.

"You okay?" Mariana tugged on my arm, looking up at me with concern. "If this makes you uncomfortable, we could just get our food for take out and eat in the car."

I shook my head, giving her a smile. "I'm fine, Mariana. It's just new to me. I haven't done this in more than five years."

She nodded in understanding and hugged me tighter, closer. "Don't worry. We'll be fine."

•••

Nothing was fine.

Thirty minutes into our meal, the vibe inside the restaurant completely shifted into something that made my blood run cold.

I spotted them three tables from us, in fishnet stockings, hairspray-damaged hair, too-tight tops and grotty-shaded lipsticks. When my hands began to shake, I tucked them below the table and tried to steady my breathing. I realized I've began to sweat profusely when the flush on my face became apparent.

"Wolff?" In the blur of my vision, Mariana stood from across the table and sat next to me. "You look sick. What's wrong?"

I shook my head, opening my mouth to say that it was nothing—that my brain's just being stupid—but no words came out. Oh, God. I couldn't breathe.