❥ Chapter Fifteen: Hybrid

LAUREN

I packed my things with a heavy heart and distorted mind. I panic a little but I made up my mind, as much as I don't want to be here, I can't let this project go. This is a huge break for me and with the unsure future this will help me get through life alone. I sighed before rubbing my tummy gently. I'm not sure if Matt's going to accept us or will Roni forgives me if she finds out.

I shook my head and sat down on the folding bed. I opened the zipper of my shoulder bag and glanced at the pregnancy kit below. Haven't told anyone about my pregnancy and I just found out the day before we board for Delphilia.

"Lau?" Matt called from the outside. I hurriedly put the kit back and stood up before going back to the table and put my clothes to the baggage. "Lau, are you done?" He asked and this time, he already zipped the tent after he went inside. I smiled a little and shook my head. "I'm almost done." I answered before turning back to the table. I heard his footsteps behind me and when he's almost near me, he managed to knock the folding bed. I turned to him and my shoulder bag fell on the ground.

"Sorry." He muttered. He bends down and picked my things that fell. I hurriedly stopped him and held his hands. He was about to grabbed the plastic zip lock when I got it first. He looked up and creases his forehead. I put the kit back to the bag and ignored his puzzled expression. "What was that?" He asked rather quietly. I swallowed hard and pretended to be busy. 

"Lauren, tell me what was that." He warned. "It's nothing, really." I stuttered. Matt suddenly grabbed me forcefully by the arm and I slammed against his chest. His eyes were intense as he clenched his jaw. He's losing his patience.

"Are you pregnant?" He asked, scared. I bowed my head and a tear escaped from my eye. "Are you pregnant, Lauren?!" He shouted. I yelped a little, surprise by his outburst. Tears raged down my face and he closed his eyes, confirming it. 

"Jesus." He cussed .under his breath when he let me go. I sobbed when I saw how broken he was and it breaks my heart into tiny pieces. "I-I was going to tell you." I uttered but he raised his hand, silencing me.

"Who's the father?" My eyes widened when he asked. I thought he's mad because I kept it a secret. "God damnit, just tell me!" He demanded. I curled my fingers into a fist before biting my lower lip. I shook my head. I wiped my tears and ran away. I went out of the tent and headed to the bridge. Matt is sprinting behind me why calling me but I'm so afraid to face him. I can't tell him the truth. I just can't.

"Lauren, wait." Matt grabbed my arm and stopped me from my tracks. I gasped and steadied my breathing as he eyed me seriously. His hand is gentle against my skin and it awakened the guilt I have longed to ignore. His lips tremble but he managed to ask me again.

"Just tell me the truth please?" He begged. It's a rare sight; Matt isn't the type of person who let his emotions get the better of him. I looked away and gulped down the uneasy feeling rising on my body. "I would be the happiest man if I'm going to be a father but.." He inhaled sharply before he cupped my face and made me looked at him, straight in the eyes. "But we both know that isn't possible."

I closed my eyes and cried harder. His hand tightened but it doesn't matter. I am deeply sorry but that cannot turn back time and changed anything. "I'm so sorry." I whispered. "Forgive me." I pleaded just as Matt's tears fell on his face. It's heartbreaking to see and all I can do is cover my mouth. "Is it Jack's?" He spits the name with utter bitterness. I didn't respond. He clicked his tongue and laugh sarcastically. He pushed his hair back in place while staring into the cliff. "H-how?" He asked slowly.