❥ Chapter Twenty-Eight: The danger lurking behind

Beth

I tailed behind other students and watched as Dr. Veronica fell unconscious after being sedated. Professor Evans ordered the two police officers to watch her closely, but only if they all knew what really happened to her in this very own mountain. I looked back to when I was packing my things and Jelly knocked on my door.

"Come in." I muttered without looking, I already know it is her since our parents aren't home yet, still on their business trip outside of the continent.

"I'm surprised you came to see me before I fly off to Mount Alphanium." I muttered, nonchalant. My sister pestered me everyday, almost on her knees, begging for me to withdraw my confirmation slip regarding the field trip.

"Are you here to beg again?" I asked, this time I turned to her and raised my right brow. She sighed before she sat on the edge of my bed. She gripped on the tiny purse she was holding while I continued packing my necessities.

"Beth." She softly called my name. I raised my head and stare at her again before she decided to hand me the velvet purse she was holding. "This is for you."

I accepted the purse with a creased forehead, it isn't my birthday so why is she giving me a present now?

"Mount Alphanium is a dangerous place but you won't let that fact stop you from going." Jelly said before standing up. "Those are silver dust, I grinded some genuine silver jewelries for you. It will come in handy."

I am confused but I accepted it anyways. I smiled at her before I out the velvet purse inside my bag. I stood up and hugged her tightly.

"Thank you." I muttered, happy since she's finally giving me consent to join the field trip. She tapped my back lightly.

"Anything for my little sister."

"As you all know, Dr. Heartfillia is one of Antigen's brightest investments." Professor Art finally spoke after the rest of the class started whispering. We all halted when he stopped on his tracks. He then turned to us all.

"When we returned from our expedition here, she started having nightmares." My forehead automatically creased upon hearing that. That's not what Jelly told me before.

"So she was relieved of duty when the company found out Veronica has some issues, psychological problems that is why she was unemployed for two years." Professor Evans smiled at us all.

"Anyways, we'll camp here just a few meters away from the bridge inside the cave."

Everyone gasped and is in awe when we all reached the huge cave where we'll all be camping. Professor Evans instructed us to set our tents up. William laid Veronica down on a mattress that the professor prepared. I put the bags down and started building my tent.

"Need a hand?" Detective Leo offered. I smiled at him and watched him assemble my tent. I grabbed my tumbler and drank the coffee I prepared this morning. The hike was quite far and it made me thirsty.

Detective William came to us and also offered to assist Leo in making my tent. I opened my folded hanging bed and sat on it to rest. I out my tumbler down and stare at Veronica's duffel bag. I was curious because it was quite heavy so I bowed down and carefully unzipped the bag. My hands started shaking when I saw what it was. I immediately zipped it back and looked around to check if someone saw it too.