❥ Chapter Nine: John Matthews

Jack carried my bag pack and I'm left with the shoulder bag where I put those things that may come in handy. I had a caliber filled with pellets that contains tranquilizer. Though the sun is set at the highest point, I felt nervous and shaken. Something isn't right again or is it just me?

We successfully relayed the message for our departure and some of them were hesitant whether to call the expedition off but as the head of the research, everyone has no choice but to obey.

I kept the walkie-talkie on the pocket of my jeans and pulled the cardigan tightly to myself. The winter wind makes it uncomfortable for me to hike. The cold atmosphere prevented me from wearing a comfortable clothing so I'm stuck with a long-sleeved cotton blouse and a long cardigan that Prim lend to me. I could've worn the trench coat but Jack won't permit it. He doesn't want me to wear tight clothes.

We stood at the end of the shore, waiting for our ride. I glanced at my wristwatch and in about thirty minutes, the chopper should land here. I put my hands on the pocket of my cardigan and stood still while gazing at the blue sky but the gray clouds keep on nudging the pure ones. Hope it won't rain. Hope the sun won't hide in vain.

"Roni." A hand touched my arm causing me to avert my eyes away from the beautiful sight. Jack dragged me away from the crowd. We stopped at a tree, fifty meters away from my fellow researchers.

"What is it?" I asked him, a bit worried.

"Matt and Lauren are nowhere to be found. They're gone." He whispered. My forehead creased. They're gone? To where? I thought they understand this.

"Art and I will find them." I immediately shook my head and held his hand. I don't want them to go back to camp or to that mountain. I can't risked their lives anymore. It's noon and there's no telling when they'll be back if they ever tried to search for Lauren and Matt.

"Jack, no. Stay." I muttered.

"We can't leave them, Roni. I have to find them." His tone was marked with finality and I didn't argue anymore.

When Art and Prim came, Jack immediately set out a plan. Prim and I will keep on the look-out here at the bay while Art and Jack will search inside. We'll keep communicating on our walkie-talkie until they find the two.

I checked my smartphone but there's no signal still. If I can just check Lauren's GPS, we can find them a bit sooner. I opened the iPad and scanned the map for the possible route that the two have taken.

"Do you think they've ran off somewhere and continued their research?" Prim asked. She broke the silence between us without sparing me a look. She had a latte on her right hand and phone on the left, trying to search for a coverage. Hope there's at least a single bar. That would be helpful.

"Maybe. Lauren was always the kind of person who seriously takes her career as the top priority." I answered. Prim nodded and smiled a little.

"And Matt was there to support her always." She silently said. I was surprised when that came out from her. She isn't the type of person who speaks highly of Matt. They're like rivals, argued a lot like Tom and Jerry so that comment really surprised me.

Prim pays attention a lot. To Matt. Surprisingly.

"I remember how Matt begged for our help and asked for Lauren's number. He was so desperate back then." She muttered with a grunt after.

"He was surely head over heels with her. Can't blame him though. Lauren's pretty and a sure catch." She added. I felt a lump of bitterness on her. The way she said the last line felt like a jealousy. I've known Prim when we were still young and even before our circle of friends came, I know something isn't right. She's hiding something.