❥ Chapter Twenty-Three: Goodbye

RONI

"Come on grab my hand." Roni said as she extended her right hand at Jack who's panting and was about to pass out.

"Sorry. But I can't take it anymore." Jack muttered. His breathing hitched and he looked really tired plus the wounds that he had are deep enough to make him wince in pain.

"Get up man. We need to hurry or they'll catch us." Art whispered. He pulled him but he's too heavy. Roni tried to help but Jack's already giving up.

"Leave me here." Jack whispered. 

"That's insane. We're not leaving without you. Come on."

Art and I tried to carry Jack. It was so hard to maintain our balance on the hanging bridge while helping him up. The rain's falling quite hard, making each step slippery. Each step is dangerous to take.

"We can do this." Art muttered while breathing heavily.

The clouds on the sky turned darker and the rain started to pour even more. It made it more harder for them to cross. The wood bridge is slippery and with careful steps, it took them slower than the normal walking pace.

"Awoooooooooooo."

The three of us halted because that growl sounded not so far. They're close.

"We have to hurry." I muttered. Art took every ounce of strength he had left just to support Jack who's crying in pain. 

"We won't make it in time." He whispered.

"Put me down guys. Leave me here." Jack pleaded. 

"No. We won't." I held him as tight as she can so he won't let go. 

"Roni, in order for the both of you to survive, you have to let me go." Jack's voice softened when he raised his head to look at me. Art sighed and put Jack down, he can't stand this.

"What are you doing?" I panicked. He grabbed my arm and pulled me away from Jack before it's too late.  "Arturo let me go! We can't just leave him here. No. JAAAACK!"

I tried to struggle out of his grip but he sure is strong. Jack flashed his infamous grin as he lifted his right hand. He slowly saluted to us and finally he said his parting words to Art and me.

"Take care of Roni, Art." He muttered. Blood are dripping out of his wound but he showed no sign of fear or pain as he stare at the most beautiful girl he first laid his eyes on.

"I love you, Veronica." He mouthed those words as the darkness slowly consumed his consciousness.

I love you too, Jackson. Always have, always will.

I cried even more. Seeing Jack in that state is unbearable, let alone leaving him behind. I called out his name over and over, refusing to let him die. I can't leave him there. No!

"We have to hurry Roni or we'll die." Art pulled her until they reached the other side of the bridge. The unknown creatures reached the bridge. Those three monsters growled and started running towards Jack. I shook my head and my hands started shaking.

"No. No. Jack!" I screamed once more.

"Roni! LET'S GO!" Art shouted back.

We both went inside the car that they used for this expedition. Art fastened my seatbelt, I was too scared and stunned to do that. He immediately started the engine and pushes the gas forward. The creatures didn't notice us for they were all at Jack's side.