❥ Chapter Twenty-Seven: Back Again

RONI

I called Art about my decision and he immediately booked me a seat for the chopper that the school is going to use. There are 20 graduating physics major student, Art, the two police officers and me. I was hesitant when I was packing my things but I already made up my mind.

I grabbed my large bag pack, the new one I just recently bought for the trip, and gathered the things that I need. I only packed 3 sets of clothes and put the silver rounds and the gun at the bottom of my bag. I put the very important things inside a zip lock to keep them untouched.

Lastly, I put my bow and arrows inside the duffel bag. Art said to pack lightly but these are the necessary things I must bring just in case things get worse. I don't want to lose any of the people in the trip. I don't want to see them cry anymore.

"Are you sure about this?" Jelly asked when she reached my unit. I asked her to get me some of the toxins inside the lab including more silver rounds. She looked so worried and she was really against the decision I made.

"Do you really want to go back to that place?" Jelly asked, to make sure I can manage.

"Do I have a choice?" I answered her question with another question. I continued packing and Jelly seems to be following every move I make.

"Are you sure you can trust him?" Jelly whispered, afraid that someone might hear us. But there are only two of us inside this apartment. Weird.

"Who?" I asked, puzzled. Jelly shot me a look like she's surprise who she's talking about.

"Dr. Evans." She answered. I shook my head. I can't trust him either so I'm doing my best for avoid risking everyone's lives. Once we set at the foot of the mountain, it is already considered as the danger zone.

"I want to go with you to ensure your safety." Jelly muttered. I shrugged and waved my hand at her.

"No, you stay here. I want you to watch Antigen's every move. Okay?"

I want to keep her watch at Antigen so we'll know exactly what they're planning to do. Plus I don't want to bring her there, I can't let her die. I don't want to lose another friend.

"Okay, but Beth is joining the field trip."

She mentioned her younger sister's name and my eyes automatically widened. I knew her sister, I've attended as a guest speaker and a replacement for the meantime when their teacher got sick. I was her professor for two months back then when Beth was still a freshman.

"Why did you let her join?" I asked, now mad from Jelly's sudden reveal.

"She thinks I am crazy, she doesn't believe me." Jelly reasoned out. She reached for my hand and squeezed it tightly. 

"No matter what happens, please ensure my sister returns safely." It is evident on her voice, Jelly sounds so desperate. I swallowed hard. I don't think I can handle that responsibility.

Jelly unzipped her sling bag and fetched the white envelope inside. She stares at me and then handed me the envelope. I got a feeling what's inside so I shook my head. I can't accept this. I pushed back the envelope but Jelly looked at me with pleading eyes.

"Please accept this Veronica. Buy all the things you needed." She muttered. "Please Veronica. Accept this sum of money I saved."

I shook my head still but Jelly is so stubborn. She won't leave me alone in my apartment unless I accept the money. She was running late for her work so I accepted the money. But I promised to pay her back once I returned safely together with her younger sister, Beth.