❥ Chapter Sixteen: Escape Plan

JACK

The wound on my neck is aching so terribly but I managed to bit my hand to avoid making unnecessary noise. The werewolf got me deeper than the others but as long as everyone's alive, I don't mind getting hurt a million times painful. I leaned on the pillar for support and slowly ripped the hem of my shirt. I need to cover my wound to avoid infection I don't want to be a burden to them when we escape tomorrow. I gritted my teeth when I wrapped the cloth around my neck and shoulder. I grunted but I managed to tie it tightly as I can. My body temperature rises and with only ripped pants and shirt, I'm freezing.

I glanced around and saw Lauren awake. She ripped the hem of her dress before she rubbed her arm. Her chain is different from us and I can tell that there something she isn't telling us aside from the fact that she's pregnant, with my child.

"Lauren." I called gently. Her eyes shot up to mine and I'm guessing how her eyes widened for a second, she didn't notice I was awake the whole time. She stopped what she's doing and focused on me.

"Is your wound throbbing?" She asked. I shook my head before licking my lower lip. As much as I want to avoid it, I can't. I need to know.

"Is it true? That you're pregnant?" My voice sounded so little that I don't think she heard but when she sighed, she nodded at me. "I was pregnant. I lost the baby when Luna got me." A tiny piece tugged my heart and it is immediately surrounded by guilt and regret.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. "It was a mistake."

Lauren's forehead creases and she looked at me with mock. She then laughed bitterly. She massaged her temple and took a deep breath after. Her lips tremble and I know she's mad.

"A mistake? Really Jackson?" She spat. "What am I?" She pleaded. I don't want to hurt her, she's my friend after all but I want her to know how I regret it so much. Cheating with her, letting her drowned at an illusion that we made.

"Was it all just sex?" She mirrored my eyes but I didn't look away. "I'm sorry, Lauren. I was tempted and let it consume me because I needed someone at that time but that was pure lust and ecstasy." I answered. She wiped her tears reluctantly. "I'm sorry. But after we've been through, I'll keep on choosing Roni because she's the one I want to spend the rest of my life with."

Lauren fell silent for awhile but after a few minutes, she turned her back at me before lying down the floor. I can see her shoulders shaking and I can hear her soft sobs. I know I've been a jerk. This is partly my fault but I have to tell her so she won't think there's hope for us. Lauren is kind and pretty but I don't see her more than a friend. And I realized it in a most difficult time. When I inflicted so much pain to her and turning Roni into that monster.

I closed my eyes but kept awake. Roni's image awhile ago flashed before me. Her hair turned darker and her eyes turned haunting. She doesn't look like herself. When she bit the girl and drinks the blood, I was torn and agonized by the fact that she cannot control herself. When she averted her gaze from the girl to me, I felt a spark of longing. I wanted to pull her into my arms so bad and kiss her head. Those beautiful eyes that I have drowned in first were stained with painful tears. For a moment before she passed out, I saw her weak smile and pain.

I am the root-cause of this and I will see to it that we can save her, even if it means sacrificing my own. I don't want to be selfish anymore, for once I want to think of others before myself. I want her to survive and live happily until she's old. I don't want her to be imprisoned by the madness that Antigen drove her to. We already lost our baby I don't think I can handle losing Roni too. I know I don't have any right to begged for mercy and for another chance but I want Roni to escape from here. That alone is enough for me before I die.