❥ Chapter Ten: Lauren Mae Breiner

The snow feels cold but pretty. It started snowing last night and it Christmas is finally coming. Holidays and reunions. Gift-giving and merry singing. One of the few things I've been looking forward ever since February. I miss not having to wake-up early and not being stress with work matters. A nice routine that may involved a lot of sleeping and stress eating. Who am I kidding? My job may seem hectic and fully loaded but I'm enjoying every single part of it. Having to research for the unknown and proving mythical creatures exist excites me more than having a day off.

Anyways, since I had a deep sleep I decided to start decorating my unit. It's probably still six in the morning but I'm feeling like a silly little kid looking forward to Christmas. The spirit of forgiving and getting together. Amidst our busy schedule, the squad will finally have a one day vacation together.

We've been celebrating Christmas together. Been an annual mantra for us and every year one of us will host the home party and this year, it's my turn. They'll celebrate their holidays here in the unit and for that very reason, I must prepare early and decorate well. It's November today, which means I got more or less a month to ready everything. With a bonus from my salary, I think I can cook a fancy meal for everyone.

"Oops-i-daisy." Jack carries me suddenly when I was about to hang the star on the Christmas tree. He smells of olive soap and fresh mint. I snake my arms around his neck and planted a soft kiss on his lips before he put me down.

"I cooked bacon and eggs for breakfast. Your coffee is also on the table." I muttered softly. He smiled before leaning down to give me a kiss on the forehead.

"I'll get Theo." He whispered. My forehead creased. What is he talking about?

"Who's Theo?" I asked. Jack smiled at me before disappearing to the room on the left. I massaged my temple before arranging some plates on the dinning table. I put a teabag on my cup and waited for it to dissolve.

"Hi Mommy." A cute little voice muttered from behind me. I slowly turned to look at who it is and I almost screamed in horror. My teacup fell from my hands and it broke into tiny pieces on the floor, spilling the tea away. I covered my mouth with my hand and shiver on my place.

It's Jack with an evil grin, carrying a small werewolf with a face of a handsome boy. But only, he has sharp claws and his canine teeth showed. Body covered with thick hair.

"Mommy." He called while extending his tiny arms to me. I shook my head and moved away, stepping on the broken glasses. No. This isn't happening.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" I screamed while covering my ears and closing my eyes. No this can't be happening.

"Come on." I felt a force dragging me away from that image and suddenly I'm alone in the darkness.

"Roni." I heard Jack calling me but I don't see him and neither are my friends. Where am I?

"Come on, Roni." I suddenly felt pain on my throat and a force pushing my chest out. I'm suffocating. I can't breathe.

"Wake up, Roni."

Then with one more push on my chest, I jolted up and my eyes sprung open. My eyes were blinking, adjusting to the light as I cough. I coughed as hard as I can and vomit some water out. I felt a hand caressing my back slowly and an arm supporting me.

"Thank God." I heard Prim's voice on my left. And I felt all of a sudden being lifted off the ground. Someone's carrying me but my vision isn't clear yet. My body is drained but I don't want to pass out yet. A few moments later, I felt a satin cloth on my back. Then he laid me down slowly and carefully.