❥ Chapter Eighteen: Bearing an Heir

RONI

I was slammed to the ground with my back against the floor numerous times now. Our difference in strength is huge and I felt the gap slowly widening as Luna bear her fangs and claws throughout my body. The intense pain at first was bearable but as my body became numb, I felt weaker and weaker. Luna on the other hand grew stronger every time her nails dug to my skin. I heard a disturbing sound when she bites me hard on the flesh. A sound of blood gushing out and and the sound of my bones breaking made me scream in horror.

I don't even know what's happening anymore nor how I came into this scene. Everything's vaguely blur and the only thing I remember today was Jack's tearful eyes and pained face. Like he's in agony and nothing in the world would make him feel better. That scene before me excruciated my soul, like how I felt when I found out my baby's gone.

"ARGH." I felt Luna's fangs deeper down on my neck. My heartbeat slowly paced down. My arm that is pushing her away suddenly collapses and her whole weight was on me. I feel like being ran down by a thirteen wheeler truck. I tried to push her off me with all my might but failed.

"AWOOOOOO." She howled before me. Her mouth is filled with blood, my blood and as my vision starts to blur, I caught a glimpse of Luna's forlorn eyes. The humane emotion crossed her face, one I've last seen when we met at the lobby.

She was wearing her lab gown then and her hair is tied in a ponytail. Her usual poker face made me think she's cold but that's how she always look. Her bloodshot eyes show how much she worked hard to earn an internship in Antigen.

I would always see her in the cafeteria, eating alone and I've wanted to talk to her but I didn't. I thought she wanted to be alone. If only I have taken the initiative to walk towards the table where she's silently eating, I would've known how much working and earning in a huge company for her means. And if I have known that she didn't want to be a test subject from the start, I could've send her home instead. She could've been saved but I restricted myself from meddling with her. I did this to her.

"Because you saw yourself back then. She was the perfect reflection of you." My subconscious screamed at me. I smiled weakly. I saw myself in Luna. I am a loner back then, no one to talk to nor had a shoulder to cry on until Prim, Art and Jack became my friends on junior high.

Her emotions and expressions mirrored mine perfectly, like we've been through the same hardships and loneliness. "L-Luna." I called and I swallowed the lump on my throat, trying hard to hold back my tears that are on the verge of falling. "Luisa Nancy." I called again. She stopped howling and darted her sad eyes on mine. I tried steadying my breathing, I don't want to pass out. Not yet, not until my friends made it out, outside. Alive.

"You were one of the brightest interns that Antigen has." I coughed out and blood dripped from my mouth. "I wish we had time to talk nor I had offered my time to help you but..." I inhaled sharply and closed my eyes for a few seconds. "But I let them take your life instead. I'm so sorry." My tears then fell on my face. I opened my eyes and tried to reach out to her. "Don't let my mistake take over you. Don't dwell on revenge, Luna. You can turn to human again." I whispered before I was swallowed by my subconscious.

I can turn them back to human and use my blood to redeem myself from the sins I've made. I will turn them back even if it means using all the blood I have, even if it means not ever seeing Jack and my friends again.

I hope Prim discovers the hidden folder I labeled under her name. She's the technology maniac of the group and that skill always come in handy. I know they'll search my things for clues. If they get out of here safely without knowing about Antigen's true motive, Jelly will.

I saved videos too and evidences that may help them sue the company and close it forever. Lauren is alive and it's a good thing. She can tell them Rosetta's problems and that she'll be able to testify for it. I just hope they won't resent her. I did resented her when I found out she's pregnant but I don't hate her for doing her work as an employee at Rosetta Ocean Park. That's why I pushed through the expedition even though it's dangerous. I don't want Lauren to hate herself forever.

I was taken away from my deprived thoughts when a familiar sweet aroma crosses my sense of smell for a second. I don't want to do anything while my alter ego takes over, I want to remember everything and stop myself from inflicting any harm to others. I stood up and glanced around at the four walls of the room, hoping to see something.

"Poor Roni." Someone whispered to my ear. I turned sideways and saw myself. It isn't just my reflection but standing not so far away from me is an exact replica of myself. I tried to blink a couple of times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating but only to fail. She smirked at me before crossing her arms to her chest.

"Who are you?" I asked, nervously. She shot me look, asking if I'm for real but to my surprise, she extended her arm and held me by my shoulder. I momentarily took a step backwards; the sensation made me jolt and stand on high alert. She feels real. But how is this possible?

"I am you, you are me Roni. We're both connected but sad to say, I have enough strength to break out of this fortress." She muttered abruptly before caressing the stone wall on her right.

"I can help you escape. You just have to accept me in." My other self whispered but she hissed after she saw blood stains on the floor. I'm positive those are mine and Luna's. "So what do you say, Roni? Want to team up for some little destruction?" She grinned at me. I automatically closed my eyes and chanted 'this is not real' under my breath. I took a deep breath and opened them again, only to see her in front of me. She wore a triumphant smirk and I was left with mouth opened, agape.

"Who exactly are you?" I asked. She sighed, growing impatient before walking around me.

"I am you. I am Veronica too. But unlike you, I am not weak and merciful. I could've taken Luna on easily but you melted away when memories washed upon your head."

She clicked her tongue as she moved closer to me. She halted when she's only inches apart and as I stare at her, I saw my poor self. Beaten and in pain. The only difference is that she's wearing a gorgeous smile while I look like in hell, agonizing.

"Your friends may have gotten out of here but you can't hide the fact that no one will come and help them. Antigen will surely disperse all of you." She muttered nonchalantly.

She then grabbed me by my shoulder blades and leaned on my face closer. I stopped breathing for a second when her lips almost touched mine. It's like I'm watching myself in the mirror, only that she wears a different expression.

"Come on, accept me in and I promise I'll protect your precious friends." She uttered slowly against my ear. I shivered but shrugged immediately. "Don't fight your subconscious and let me do the job." She added. I took a deep breath and in a split second I felt her vanished into thin air. I sighed before opening my eyes and when I did, I'm in a different room. I was just dreaming, thank god. I thought I've completely lost my mind.

"Thought you'd never wake from your deep slumber." Luna's thunder-like voice echoed and I glanced at her direction, making sure what I'm seeing is real this time. A sigh of relief took my breath away, just making sure that I am not under a certain drug or something.

She stood from the chair and her long silk hair danced with every step she made. She changed into a new beige dress that hugs her body tightly. My eyes stare at her stomach, the baby bump is now evident. I swallowed hard when I realized that she's back to a stern and authority-wise Luna. I thought I knocked some senses when we battled out, when I saw her tears but nevertheless, she's tenacious enough to stick to her plans. I clicked my tongue.

"You've been asleep for four days. I thought you'll die of hunger but you seem fine." She uttered with boredom.

Sorry to disappoint you Luna, I thought.

"Now that you've awakened, I figured we could start the experiment right away." She said and then the door opened. More werewolves came in and each of them brought the familiar girls, the girls from the cages.