When all hope is gone

A few days later, Paris, France

"Yes, Stefan. She is now Bonnie with a twist and trust me it is not a good one. It's like she is so full of herself, I can't believe I am saying that. It's like she has flipped the switch off and yet at the same time she hadn't"- Damon tried to explain to Stefan what was going on and how Bonnie was doing.

"Caroline has booked flights, so we will be there soon."- Stefan said.

"I seriously don't know how you two can change anything?! We are in need of a witch that can extract this magic out of her!!"- Damon said- "Liv has disappeared and so did her syblings like they never existed or came into our lives!!"

"There is also good news. The Gemini coven doesn't exist anymore?!"- Stefan said.

"Don't Stefan!!"- Damon was steaming with fury.

"Ok. We just need to find a witch can suck out the Gemini magic out of her?!"- Stefan said

"Really?! I wouldn't know if you didn't tell me! Talk to you later?!"- Damon hung up as Bonnie now came out of the bathroom, dressed and ready to go out.

"I am going shopping. Coming?!"-she said.

"Not wanna miss it for the world"- he snarked a little.

He followed her as he had to keep an eye on her so she wouldn't lose her cool and try and strangle someone if they said something wrong or looked her the other way.

Everything he didn't want had happened. He got her back and he had lost her within a week.

He now watches her as they get into the taxi and the way she speaks to the driver in french in a smug sarcastic way resembling Kai. Damon tries to get along with everything. He can't believe that he will have to plot with her friends to snare her and try to get Gemini magic. He hates himself for playing pretence, something he had never done. But this time it's different. This time all of him aches like never before for having lost his soulmate to magic.

In New York

Caroline scrolled down through the huge amount of material she had already read months before when they were looking for a way to find a way to see what had happened to the other side.

"She has always wanted to do stuff all by herself...that got her in trouble with the witch world in the first place!"- Caroline was steaming with fury.

"We will find Liv. Noone can hide that well."- Stefan said.

"Bonnie doesn't have forever. She is human?!"- Caroline reminded him.

"I am aware of that, Care."- Stefan said.

Caroline put the tablet down on her lap frustrated that she had not found any lead.

****

In Paris, Bonnie got out of a shop happy with her purchase and came up to Damon, who waited outside.

"I am done. What are we doing now? This is like the best holiday I ever had."- she smiled and kissed him.

"Holiday..."- Damon uttered with a sour note in his tone- "worst nightmare"- he thought to himself.

There she was in front of him, with a shining, happy face,and he wants to be happy for her because she had endured a horrible empty time.

"Hey...let's have something to eat...and then we can go back to the apartment and have some alone time...what do you say?!"- Bonnie said flirtatiously.

"Bon..."- he started and then stopped.

"Last night...I know...it happens to the best...never thought it could happen to you. The most romantic city in the world is not doing it for you...but I got a little something that you would like..."- she referred to him stopping their love making.

Damon smirked a little and as he tried to override the embarrasing conversation, his phone rang and it was Abby, whom he tried to get in touch with eversince they left Africa.

"Got your text. Lengthy."- Abby said.

"Yeah. And...ahm...Stefan...when are you going to be here?"- Damon said.

Abby was taken aback for a moment and then realized that he couldn't speak about it directly to her as Bonnie most probably was close by.

"Ok...call me when you can."- Abby said.

"Yes. You know the address we are staying at!"- Damon said and he hung up.

It was clear to Abby that she actually should make her way to France.

Damon now turned to Bonnie and suggested a place where they could have something to eat.

"Caroline texted me...I can't believe that we are going to hang out all together. Surreal."- Bonnie said.

"Yeah...surreal. My sentiments exactly."- Damon confirmed snarkily and they continued walking. He cringed a little and cursed the Gemini witches once again.

Flashback

In the night

As Bonnie fell asleep, he got out to feed. And for a first time, he just fed to slightly stop his sense of hunger. After he compelled the person he fed from and went back to the apartment. He wanted to make a night of it as his frustration of things gone awry pulled him to act out, but his heart pulled him back from it. He walked slowly into the bedroom not to wake her. He sat down on the bed. She was so serene.

His heart burnt with a hellish fire. To help her be herself again, he would have to manipulate her. Make arrangements behind her back. He hated it. But he didn't know any other way.

He tried to make her see that something wasn't right with her. That the newly acquired magic had consumed her and that she was not aware that it had altered her.

"It's like she is an alcoholic who doesn't see that drinking is making her a different person."- he said to Stefan as he called him afterwards- "I should have stopped her?!"

"You didn't know what they were going to do, nor that it would affect her that much?!"- Stefan reminded him.

"No."- Damon sifted and hung up.

He now layed down next to her.

"I'll get that damned magic out of you, if it is the last thing I do."- he said as he moved a streak of her hair from her forehead. She moved a little acknowledging his presence and nestled up to him.

He kissed her forehead and whispered words she had said once when it all was bleak-

"Hope is the only thing keeping me going."

It seemed that this was a constant in his life now.