seventy four - three point war

“Good job bringing the ball back, Kagami,” Koganei complimented as the teams were taking a time out, the five starters on the bench with their towels draped over their necks.

“If you had lost there,” Tsuchida added, “It wouldn’t have been funny.”

“The battle is as fierce as ever,” Sasaki commented after gulping down some water.

“Right, and it’d be dangerous to use things we’ve already shown repeatedly against Aomine,” Kiyoshi said, the atmosphere tensing. Suddenly, Hyuuga cracked his neck.

“All right,” He blew out, “In that case, I’ll start by scoring from the outside. Sasaki, give me the ball.”

“Roger that,” The azurette gave him a non-enthusiastic thumbs up.

“What’s up with you?” Izuki questioned, and Sasaki shrugged in turn.

“Saving my energy for the court,” He answered before getting back on topic, “Since Touou’s defense is currently strong on the inside, drawing their attention outside is a good choice.”

“Who do you think you’re talking to, moron?”

“Myself, obviously.”

“Oh.”

“Ha-“ Kagami slapped his hand over his mouth, knowing it would get him in trouble if he actually laughed at that.

“Then, we’re counting on you, Hyuuga-kun,” Riko smirked at him after thinking it over for a second.

“Yeah.”

Soon enough, the buzzer sounded, signaling the end of the time out. “Did you have a good break?” Aomine asked Sasaki, looking at him affectionately but at the same time with hostility and competitiveness roaring in his eyes.

“Yeah,” He smiled, cocking his head and opening his eyes partially in a seductive manner. “Did you?” Sasaki returned the question.

“That’s enough of that,” Kagami stepped in, “The game’s starting back up, Sasaki.”

“Rightio,” He immediately jogged away with the redhead, causing his lover to grit his teeth. Sure enough, the ball was thrown in and Sasaki got it. Weaving around Imayoshi, the azurette passed to Hyuuga.

“You’re standing so far away,” Hyuuga smirked at Sakurai, the words just barely loud enough for Sasaki to hear before the captain went into the barrier jumper and shot a three pointer.

“Nice!” Sasaki’s face lit up as his fist went in the air.

“The first years aren’t the only ones who have grown,” The captain announced, posing as he scowled at Sakurai. “You apologetic mushroom.”

Every time Sasaki thought he was in a good spot, he’d pass to Hyuuga since the shooting guard was on fire, not having missed a single shot so far. But then, Sakurai started getting fired up, managing to get a three in return from forcing a shot.

“Damn, that was either really lucky or he’s got mad quick shot skills,” Sasaki whistled, standing next to the other team’s captain.

“Don’t get the wrong idea,” Imayoshi smirked as his glasses glinted. “He didn’t become a starter just because he can shoot a little quickly. The stronger his opponent, the more accurate Sakurai’s shots become.”

“Huh, good to know,” Sasaki pursed his lips as he nodded thoughtfully. “Kinda sounds like me.”

“We wish he was like you,” The point guard muttered under his breathe.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“Sasaki,” Hyuuga was suddenly beside him, looking gravely annoyed. “Keep passing to me.”

“Wasn’t planning on stopping, so go wild, cap’n!” He grinned his approval. It became an all out battle between the shooting guards, neither backing down as they both scored repeatedly, no end in sight.

“They’re making all their shots!” The crowd cheered.

“Neither team’s giving up!”

“Sakurai’s pouting like a baby and it’s kinda annoying,” Sasaki’s eyes narrowed as he jogged past Aomine.

“They’re all annoying.”

“True that.”

Finally, Sakurai made another shot as the clock was left with five seconds left in the first quarter. The scores were tied at twenty two each as Kiyoshi threw in to Kuroko, who did his vanishing drive. Passing behind him to Hyuuga, the shooting guard shot another three pointer that just went through the hoop as the buzzer sounded, calling an end to the first quarter so that Seirin was in the lead by three points.

“Well done!” Sasaki held his hand up for a high five from the two of them, but they both ignored him blatantly and went towards the bench.

I’d be lying if I said that didn’t hurt a little, Sasaki sighed as he lowered his hands, only for one to get slapped.

“You did great, so let’s keep it up,” Kagami grinned at him. A hand patted him on the back a second later.

“That’s right,” Kiyoshi agreed, “The momentum is with us, so let’s have some fun with it.”

“Yeah,” The azurette beamed, the three walking off the court together. Watching from a distant area, the Rakuzan captain smirked as his eyes narrowed deviously. All according to plan..

“We’re keeping up for now,” Kagami commented as the Seirin team sat down for a break. “Kuroko, maybe you should sit out for a little bit,” He suggested.

“No,” He immediately rejected the idea. “I can go a little more.”

“Going a little more and going a lot more is a major difference, so I’d say definitely sit out so you can do more later,” Sasaki pointed out, then shrunk slightly as the blue phantom glared at him.

“I agree with Sasaki-kun,” Riko decided before Kuroko could speak up again. “For now we are going steady, and I think it’s time to release the monster from its containment. Izuki-kun, you’re in.”

“Hai,” He nodded before holding his fist out to Sasaki. “Let’s do our best, Sasaki. I’ll be counting on you.”

“Right back at you,” They fist bumped, smiling. Suddenly, Sasaki felt a chill from the other team’s direction, and he made eye contact with Aomine. The Touou ace looked absolutely feral and ready to demolish them. Sorry Daiki, Sasaki closed his eyes for a brief moment before reasserting eye contact. You’re not the only one fired up.

The second quarter began soon after that, and Sasaki and Aomine ended up going one on one barely seconds into it. “Daiki,” Sasaki started as he weaved the ball around himself, his body constantly moving as the two engaged in an almost dance like battle. “Have I ever told you..” He trailed off before he was suddenly on the other side of the ace. “..how I used to practice being invisible?”