eighty seven - two-three zone defense

(Ayyyyyyyy surprise!!! I thought we could all use a midweek update to cheer us up! Comment goal is 27, there is a possibility of four updates today so happy reading!)

“Running a full court defense is rough,” Izuki commented as he wiped his face with a towel. “Can we last until the end of the game?”

“We’ll make it last,” Hyuuga spoke with determination, holding his water bottle.

“But I can’t imagine that Yosen won’t try anything,” Riko said, kneeling in front of those on the bench.

“Coach, about that—”

“Don’t even think about it.”

“Huh?!” Kagami whipped to face Sasaki, who was deadpanning.

“You’re not in the zone. You’re not Murasakibara. You’re not me. Your defensive range is not that big. The two of us combined right now would be able to, but not you alone.”

“And why not, huh?” The redhead snapped, causing Sasaki to flinch. “You don’t know that!”

“I sure as hell do,” he decided not to back down. “Stop trying to prove yourself, right now we need stability—”

“I think it might be worth a shot,” Riko muttered, drawing all eyes to her.

“Chief—”

“No, I know. But we might as well, since there isn’t a backup plan right now,” She told him, causing Sasaki to deflate. As Riko started going over the plan in more detail, the azurette zoned out for a bit.

Damn, this sucks.

He’s always so full of himself. Sure he’s good but he’s not all knowing.

He needs to trust us more.

Maybe I should take Sasaki-kun out for a bit, to restore morale.. But we need his strength to win.. Ugh.

“Kiyoshi, why are you just sitting there?” Hyuuga demanded, bringing Sasaki out of listening to other’s thoughts of him. “If you have any good ideas..” The captain stopped, gaping as he saw his best friend was crying. “Why are you crying?!”

“Teppei?”

“Oh, this is..” He blinked bashfully. “Why am I crying?”

“That’s what I’d like to know!” Hyuuga raged in confusion.

“I don’t know how to put it, but it’s probably..” Kiyoshi trailed off for a second before finishing his train of thought. “You guys seem so reliable, I’m relieved. When I realized I wasn’t alone, I couldn’t help myself..”

“What?” Angry veins bulged on Hyuuga’s face. “Why are you stating the obvious now? I’m actually kind of pissed!” He yelled.

“Huh?”

“Sorry. Honestly, I’m angry too,” Kagami agreed.

“Me too,” Kuroko said.

“Koga, can you get my beating stick out of my bag?” Izuki called back to Koganei.

“Huh? Did you really put—You did?!”

“Hey, this isn’t the time for that!” Riko reminded them when suddenly Kiyoshi was falling off the bench. Sasaki was prepared and caught him, situating him so that he was upright once more.

“What a hassle,” Sasaki murmured under his breath. Soon enough, the fourth quarter was about to start.

“Why don’t we form a circle again?” Kuroko suggested. “In some ways, I think Murasakibara-kun’s right when he said basketball isn’t fair. However, basketball isn’t a game you play alone. I want to win together, and I believe we can do it.”

“Okay then,” Hyuuga agreed, and so everyone gathered around. “Let’s go. Seirin, fight!”

“Yeah!”

Thus, the fourth quarter started. The Yosen team seemed surprised that Seirin was attempting a two-three zone around Kagami, and Sasaki confirmed it with their thoughts. Himuro was furious. As he should be, the azurette thought to himself.

“All we have to do is pass,” Fukui said coolly. “After all, our center is Murasakibara,” said person slammed the ball through the hoop, knocking Kagami aside with ease. Sasaki almost felt sorry for him, but he was still salty after everyone sort of ganged up on him.

“Kagami-kun!” Kuroko exclaimed.

“Do you really think,” Murasakibara turned to side eye the red-haired ace. “You can stop me alone? Don’t be so conceited, Kagami.”

“If that’s what it takes to win, I’ll do it,” Kagami swore. “I’ll stop you.”

The next play, Stealth Full Court Man to Man Defense Formation returned, however, Yosen was expecting it. Throwing in to Himuro, the shooting guard dribbled down to face Kagami in a one on one. I’ll leave you to it, then, Sasaki thought as he watched. Take him down a notch, Himuro. So this time I won’t be the one yelled at.

“You’re not going anywhere!” The redhead readied himself.

“Do it, if you can!” He charged him, faking left and going right.

“Muro-chin, stop!” Murasakibara yelled just as Kuroko tried to steal the ball. It was just in time, Himuro moving the ball back behind him.

“Domo,” The phantom practically pouted that his steal didn’t work. That gave Seirin enough time to set up the two-three zone defense. As he bounced the ball beside him, Sasaki took a peek into Himuro’s thoughts.

That’s not courage, he’s looking down on us!

Right you are, he agreed full heartedly. 

I hate it, he thought as he faked a pass to Fukui and drove inside. You can mark whoever you want, but I hate that you think you can stop everyone yourself! “Kagami!” He yelled, going into a shot.

The truth behind the Mirage shot is that he’s releasing the ball twice, Kagami’s thoughts flooded into Sasaki’s brain, making him scoff. First he jumps and snaps the ball straight in the air at the peak of his jump, then he catches the ball and shoots it again. So I just need to delay my block!

I can see the entire layout of the Mirage Shot in Himuro’s head, and while you’re kind of on track, it’s not as simple as you just described, Sasaki blinked, not giving anyway any indication that he knew what was going on.

“I know you know,” The shooting guard said, releasing the ball on the first release. “Did you think it was just some trick shot? I can shoot on either release after seeing how my opponent times his jump. Knowing how it works is useless,” He glared menacingly as the net swooshed around the ball. “No one can touch the Mirage Shot.”

I can’t win like this.. Kagami thought, and Sasaki could see exactly where that train of thought was going. But if I could just enter the zone like Sasaki can.. Maybe..

Sorry Kagami, Sasaki looked anywhere but him. The Zone may be my turf, but I can’t give other people access. At least, I’ve never tried… Huh, Sasaki suddenly got an idea, inwardly smirking. Alright, but only if it’s needed.

“What are you looking smug for? I’ll hit you.”