seventy six - misdirection overflow

“This is insane,” Nishinoya’s mouth was wide open along with a few others’ as some of the Karasuno boys team watched the game unfold below them. Seeing how fast Sasaki and Aomine were, Kageyama was no longer impressed with Hinata’s ability to run across the court several times during a game.

If anything, the setter thought as his gaze settled on Sasaki, I’m surprised that he isn’t bent over panting from how fast and how long he’s been moving. And everyone calls me a monster…

Ever since Kuroko went back in, Touou had been able to catch up and the scores were tied at sixty with a little over six minutes left in the third quarter. Then, they were ahead by four as the clock worked down from less than five minutes. (62-66)

Kuroko’s mark had gone back to normal, meaning everyone on the court could see him. Act normal, act normal.. Sasaki told himself as he dribbled in front of Imayoshi. Don’t smile, don’t do it, you gotta wait, Sauce-monster…

“It’s nothing to be embarrassed about,” Imayoshi commented, his eyes on the phantom. “If anything, you did quite well. You made it to the winter cup with a team of only first and second years. Things would have gone better if you’d had another year to prepare. Try again next year.”

“I’ll take your advice into consideration,” Sasaki smiled, tilting his head as his eyes closed. “We will try again next year. As the reigning champions of this year.”

“Not next time..” Kuroko agreed, his eyes flaming with passion. “We’ll win now!”

“Your misdirection trump card has run out of steam, too. Spirit alone won’t change anything,” The other point guard reminded them, causing Sasaki to scoff.

“You’re right, spirit alone won’t change anything,” He agreed, “But it’s the stepping stone to the door of ideas that can change everything. Oh, and by the way,” Sasaki threw up a peace sign. “Did you really think we were stupid enough to leave Kuroko in when he has no more use?”

“Wha-“ Imayoshi blinked, confusion written all over his face as Sasaki was no longer in front of him, but was dunking in the basket behind him as if he had teleported there. (64-66)

“What just happened?!” Wakamatsu demanded.

“Misdirection Overflow, baby!” Sasaki cheered, finally able to smile cheekily as he ran back with Kuroko and Kagami on either side of him.

Hyuuga stole a pass from Imayoshi, then coupled his barrier jumper with the overflow and got a three. (67-66) Play continued, and as people realized what using Misdirection Overflow meant, Kuroko stood in the middle of the court.

“It’s still better than losing here.”

“You can be edgy later, Kuroko, we need you to focus!”

Luckily, the phantom managed to get back into it and helped Kagami vanish past Aomine, getting a dunk. (69-66) “We’ll worry about the future when we get there.”

“Give me a break,” Imayoshi stood in front of Sasaki as the azurette was guarding him. “You’re betting too much on this. Just how far are you going to take this?” He asked, shaking his head before faking a pass and making a shot. Sasaki got a finger on it, but the ball still went in just as the buzzer went off, the clock having struck zero.

That left the two teams tied at sixty nine, ending the third quarter.

“Kagamiiii,” Sasaki whined as they walked off the court together. “I need a huuuuug.”

“Huh?!” The redhead looked at him like he had two heads.

“My affection meter is almost on empty,” He explained with a pout, causing Kagami to sigh.

“Fine,” He wrapped him in a hug, causing the azurette to hum in satisfaction. However, it didn’t last long.

“Get you hands,” Aomine ripped Kagami away with a growl. “Off my boyfriend!”

“Well it’s not like he could just go over to your bench and ask for a hug, now could he?!” The redhead immediately fought back, the two going into a glare off.

“I’m going to sit down now, thanks for the hug Kagami!” Sasaki called, before sticking his tongue out playfully as he turned. Yes, he knew what he was doing when he’d asked Kagami for a hug.

“Choto matte, Sasaki—”

“You’re thinking too hard, daho!” Hyuuga suddenly exclaimed at Kiyoshi, “That’s not a good habit. You should have more faith in us. This team is strong,” He reminded him as Sasaki sat down next to the center. “Especially that one.”

“Aww, thanks captain!”

“Who said I was talking about you?!”

“You were looking straight at me, though?!”

“I was looking behind you!”

“There’s nobody behind me!”

“I’m behind you,” Kagami said roughly, and Sasaki flinched.

“Ah! Friggin nuts, that was mean!”

“Win or lose,” Hyuuga interrupted, “There are the last ten minutes.”

“Unless we go into over time—”

“Sasaki damere.”

With the babbling and quabbles over with, it was time to start the fourth quarter. Seirin started with the ball, meaning Sasaki had it as he bounced it around himself with Imayoshi guarding him. “Sasaki!” The captain yelled, so said person passed the ball to him. Paired with the Overflow, Hyuuga did the barrier jumper and scored. (72-69)

“I wouldn’t expect anything less,” Imayoshi chuckled. Suddenly, all eyes were wide as Aomine caught the ball. He was smiling. Sasaki put his hand over his face, hoping to god he didn’t get a nose bleed. It wasn’t the usual provocative smile, nor one of his smirks. It was a slight, pure, dare I say cute, smile.

The Touou ace scored, leaving Seirin only one point ahead. (72-71)

Sasaki passed to Hyuuga, who was on fire as he shot, not afraid of missing at all. “I believe,” He stated with a grin. “I believe in my teammates! I’m not shooting because I won’t miss. I’m shooting because it’s okay even if I do!” He yelled.

“Everybody’s so edgy,” Sasaki pursed his lips as the ball went into the basket. (75-71) Sakurai started for a three against Hyuuga, but everyone could tell he wouldn’t make it since his rhythm was all over the pace, anything but stable.

“Getting flustered just because they’re ahead by four points..” Aomine spoke as he ran. “Give me the ball!” He ordered, so their shooting guard did as told and passed to him.

“No you don’t!” Kagami got in front of him once Aomine had the ball, but the Touou ace slipped around him like it was nothing. Faking against Kiyoshi, Aomine drew a foul and made the shot.

“Pushing, white number seven! Basket counted, one throw!”

“It counted,” Hyuuga’s face dropped.

“It’s a three point play,” Sasaki agreed, sighing as he knew there was no way Aomine would miss his free throw.

“Touou emphasizes individual skill,” Imayoshi commented as they all lined up for the free throw. “But we believe in something too. It’s.. Aomine’s strength.” (75-74)