one o' five - progress

That didn't stop Akashi from passing to Mayuzumi, who in turn directed it to Nebuya. The muscle-brained center dunked it over Kiyoshi, gaining Rakuzan two more points. Now that I know, Sasaki heard Mayuzumi think, I won't pass you. Once I return to the shadows, you can't overwrite me.

If only it were that simple, my good sir, Sasaki snickered. The next time he got the ball, the Rakuzan phantom started overthinking, leading to his demise as his body moved on instinct. Moving around Kuroko, he shot the ball before he could stop himself. However, Kagami's Zone charged self rejected the ball faster than anyone could blink.

"I'm gonna need hearing aids with all the yelling around here," Sasaki mumbled, twisting his pinkie in his ear. That thought was amplified as Kiyoshi war cried and slammed a pass from Kuroko into the basket.

"A dunk!"

"When did Kiyoshi get the ball?"

"A pass went through before I knew it!"

"Yes!" Izuki and Sasaki beamed, absolutely thrilled with the outcome of the latter's plan. Then, Rakuzan called for a time out.

"I'm surprised they didn't call one earlier," The azurette murmured as he jogged off the court, plopping down on the bench. He was soon joined by everyone else, and as they began talking, he felt someone's hand on his thigh.

"Sasaki-kun," Kuroko mumbled, not looking at him. But with his next words, he did make eye contact for a split second, almost looking bashful as his eyes were hooded and there was a slight blush on his cheeks. "Thank you...for giving me the chance to return to being a shadow."

"No prob, bro," He replied, giving him a closed-eye smile.

"Get your energy back, guys," Riko instructed. "Ice and massage them!"

"Hai!"

"Sorry..." Sasaki and Kiyoshi heard Hyuuga whisper. "When we were just getting started, I..."

"You worry too much, daho," The iron heart teased, drawing a surprised look out of the guy with four fouls.

"Hey, that's-"

"You stole my line against Kaijo," Kiyoshi reminded him.

"Oh shoot, he did?" Sasaki gasped dramatically.

"Yep, so," He smiled. "That's payback," He said before pausing, his expression dropping a bit. "I was disappointed when you got your technical foul, though."

"I feel bad enough already," Hyuuga grumbled. "Don't rub Tabasco in the wound, Teppei-san."

"But have faith in your friends," The center smiled at him encouragingly. "Having four fouls just makes the situation difficult, it doesn't end the game. We'll need your threes again, if only to get Sasaki back to being point-"

"Wha-"

"We're counting on you, captain," Sasaki and Kiyoshi said at the same time, overwhelming the guy as he gaped, not knowing whom to gape at between the two. With that, the time out ended and everyone made their way back onto the court.

Surprisingly, Mayuzumi hadn't been subbed out. Sasaki understood why the second he opened his mind to the others around him. That'll certainly do the trick, Seiji, he nodded approvingly. Though it is a bit heartless to force an overflow...

The first point went to Rakuzan as Akashi faked with his eyes to Mayuzumi, passing to Mibuchi instead and getting a three pointer since Sasaki hadn't jumped in time.

"Misdirection Overflow?" Izuki squinted, looking both confused and angry.

"No, it's a little different," Kuroko pitched in, being the expert he is. "Mayuzumi-san didn't do anything. He's prone to drawing attention right now. Akashi-kun directed Kagami-kun's attention to him."

"Sounds about right," Sasaki agreed, "He's been a passing tool from the beginning, now just more so-"

"How can you say that?" Izuki and Kuroko glared at him, causing the azurette to raise his hands in surrender.

"I'm just laying out Akashi's thought process! Friggin nuts, guys," His expression dropped to one of disappointment, then morphed to one that looked like he was tired of everything, before he plastered on a smile again. "Anyways, let's get 'em back!"

The next time Rakuzan had the ball, Nebuya received it and got a basket. Even though Kiyoshi was marking him, the center couldn't jump with him since his knee pain had a sudden spike. (As someone who was pulled out of a game because of a knee pain spike, I totally understand. Istg I almost fell over lol)

"Damnit," Kiyoshi gritted. Luckily, they got them back with a layup from Sasaki. That seemed to rile up the bench, as they got louder with their shouting of 'defense!' which, of course, Sasaki was happy to hear.

"They're getting excited," Hayama glanced at Seirin's bench. "But-" He reached out, catching a pass as Izuki fronted him. "It won't work."

"Can I ask you something?" Izuki suddenly piped up, drawing the cougar's attention. "What do you think of Mayuzumi?"

"Nothing, really," Hayama answered. "We use him effectively to win. Is there something wrong with that?"

"I'm not complaining," Seirin's point guard said. "I just don't want to lose."

"You tell 'im, Izuki-senpai!"

"Don't yell from all the way across the court!"

"Sorry!"

Four, Sasaki suddenly heard from Hayama right before he went to pass Izuki. It didn't work, which seemed to surprise everyone. As Izuki fronted him again, he opened his mouth.

"A camel told me, compared to Akashi, you're barely a hump in the road," He punned, and Sasaki almost choked on his own spit.

"Hey, you okay?" Mibuchi questioned at the coughing azurette, who nodded as he regained himself and let out a breath.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm good," He nodded.

"Sorry," He heard Hayama say, having gotten done laughing. "Honestly, I underestimated you. Okay," He held the ball, his aura becoming even more fierce.

"Here comes five!" Thus, Rakuzan scored two more points. For the next play, Rakuzan went to Hayama, and he used that opportunity well.

Seirin remained behind at 91-88. However, Hayama's moment in the spotlight ended when Izuki and Kuroko ganged up on him, forcing him into the tiger's defensive range. The second he tried to shoot, Kagami was slapping the ball out of his hands.

"What?!" Nebuya gaped. With the ball loose, Kuroko took hold of it.

"Kuroko!" Sasaki called, already bolting for the other side. Throwing it to him, Sasaki dribbled towards the hoop, only for Izuki to yell at him.

"Sasaki, pass! Behind on your left!"

"Don't tell him!" Mibuchi glared as he was already in the air, attempting to block the azurette.

"Thanks for the save, Izuki-senpai!" Sasaki called, only to notice Hayama trying to block Izuki. As cool-headed as ever, the point guard passed the ball behind him, right to the flying redhead, who enthusiastically dunked the ball.

(I leveled up guys! Now just two more levels before I can drink~}