Chapter 16

I was finally allowed to leave the house but even now, I felt unsafe. However, there was someone I wanted to go out and see. She was on my mind and I hadn't talked to her since that day.

I called Heather, hoping she would pick up but... she didn't.

Instead, she came over.

She sat with me on my bed, silent for the longest time. I didn't know how to start the conversation either honestly, but I gave it a try. "How's everything been?"

"Okay, uh, what about you?"

"I'm better than yesterday. I'm sorry about what happened, it's all my fault."

"No it isn't. You saved me."

"But if it weren't for me, you wouldn't be in that mess."

She put her arms around me, "Bae, is that what you think? If not today then he would have found another time to hurt someone else. You unveiled him and you probably saved the life of his next victim."

"We got him caught. We are a team."

She nodded, "I'm really sorry about what happened to you." She looked down.

"I'm sorry about what happened to you too." I replied.

"No like... I uh heard when you were in the room alone with the janitor and all the terrible things he did. There was a vent contracting right to the attic. And- all your screams. I heard them all and I couldn't bear them and I really thought we were going to die. I can't believe you went through all that and still saved me, Hayley." She began crying.

"I thought I was going to die. He bit my ear too and it still hurts," I began crying too. "I don't want to bring it back to my memory but it's- oh gosh. I just need to feel lighter but I break down everytime I talk."

"That's normal, okay? I didn't talk or eat anything the past days but your text really pushed me to do... something. I heard my mom crying the day of and I swear it pained me. Even Grayson cried... because of me. I didn't think he had a heart until now but he does."

I lightly chuckled. "He's protected you all his life, he does have a heart."

She smiled then went back to her blankness, "I can't tell you how lonely I feel even in a house packed with family... but more than family, they seemed like strangers."

"Heather..." I held her hands, "If it helps, tell me what happened to lighten your heart. I promise I'm here to listen to you."

She shook her head, "I can't- I'm sorry."

"I told my mom everything and I promise it lightened mine. If you don't want to talk, it's okay but I promise I will listen and comfort you."

Her eyes looked unconvinced but her mouth said the opposite, "He- well..." She wiped her eyes immediately. "After he whacked me, I went into a coma and he- well when I woke up..." She wiped her eyes with her sweater sleeve. "I don't know if I can do this..."

I caressed her shoulders, "You're stronger than you think."

She began speaking and the more she spoke, the more she teared.

Oh no, he- My eyes began watering a tsunami.

She spoke till her eyes became numb and hearing her speak about herself, brought out the soft little girl she was. 

"Oh my god. Heather-" I hugged her so tightly as we cried our eyes out.

-

-

"I should really get home now," She said.

"Yeah, I wish I could have stopped that from happening to you."

"No, you did save me in time. They found him now too."

"It wasn't good enough for me, he got the easy way out. He committed suicide."

"I know, but at least he's gone."

"They didn't even show his body- he could still be out there."

"Hayley please don't say that. I'm going to forget how to speak."

"Sorry- I hope we're safe now."

She nodded, "I should head out."

I sucked in my lips as I stopped her. "Heather- I want to uh- get your opinion about something."

"What's- up?"

"Ben... he asked me out."

She didn't say a single word.

I snapped my fingers at her. "Heather back to Earth."

"Sorry- I got distracted. What did you tell him?"

"I said no but he gave me time to think."

"Hayley, date him. He's so good to you and Grayson told me how crazy he went looking for you and he's so in love with you."

"Yeah but everything that happened in high school... What about all that? We weren't compatible."

"He's changed. He's so mature now. I swear to you, he'll treat you well. PLEASE give him a second chance. He's the best you'll ever get."

"Are you- sure?"

"Positive, I should go now but you know what you need to do."

"Don't leave me alone with my emotions."

"I know what you want too. Just think with your heart for once rather than your brain."

"Okay- bye."

"Good bye love."

Once again, alone with my feelings.

I thought about it over... and over... and over. Overthinking all the possibilities of how our relationship would go.. or end. But at the end of the day, I felt like it was right.

I texted him that night. "Let's give it a second go, how about tonight?"

He replied almost instantaneously. "Pick you up at 9?" 

DUDETTESSS (or dudes idk, if you're a dude say 'Hi' in the comments) DID HEATHER REALLY SAY SHE SHOULD THINK WITH HER HEART INSTEAD HER BRAIN??? ALSOOO why did she freeze? No she doesn't like Ben but she was just thinking about what Gray had told ...

DUDETTESSS (or dudes idk, if you're a dude say 'Hi' in the comments) DID HEATHER REALLY SAY SHE SHOULD THINK WITH HER HEART INSTEAD HER BRAIN??? ALSOOO why did she freeze? No she doesn't like Ben but she was just thinking about what Gray had told her that's why she froze (not every thought is supposed to be told). Lowkey do y'all want a scandal? JK ok byeeooo.

ANYWAYS THE NEXT CHAPTER IS A LITTLE INTENSEEEE so.... (enjoyyy & it's the last chapter!!)

Word Count: 954

Detention with a Psychopath - HORROR STORY (COMPLETED)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara