Chapter 3

When I entered the room, it was dark since the professor had a presentation up front.

Yes he was distracted! I quietly walked past the front, making my way to the seats.

"Ms Marshalls." 

Crap. I froze in my place.

"Class starts at 11, you're arriving an hour late. Do you have a valid excuse?"

I felt everyone's eyes on me, "Yes, I was stuck in traffic."

"There isn't supposed to be heavy traffic today, one hour is too much isn't it?"

"Well Einstein once said time was relative... so technically I'm not late." I innocently smiled. 

"Ah, Einstein's theory of relativity. We're in History 101."

"At least appreciate my joke." I mumbled under my breath.

"You can return to your seat."

I walked to my seat as he continued his boring History 101 lecture.

"Did you get your research project in?" Ben whispered while I took my seat beside him.

"Almost done."

"Get it in, he said he was going to call out people."

"He wouldn't, that's so unprofessional."

"Is it?" He rhetorically asked as he plotted his gaze back at the screen.

I took my notes out and continued following his lesson. This lecture was going to suck the soul inside of me. After he had finished his lecture, he gave us independent reading time. Fifteen minutes into the reading, he called me up to talk to him about something.

I clenched my fists as I walked up to his desk, anxious because I knew it was about my assignment. 

He looked up at me, "I see you haven't submitted your assignment."

"Uh yeah, about that..."

"And you've been coming late everyday, today being exceptionally unique and falling asleep in class. Is everything alright at home?"

"No everything's fine, I've just been a little... slacking."

He removed his eye glasses, "Ms Marshalls, we have very strict due dates and even then I gave everyone a two-day extension, I have no choice but to fail you on this assignment, you can make up your credits in our remedial days."

"No no no, profess, I- you can't fail me! I'm almost done, can I finish it by tonight?"

"It's due by 5, submit it then?"

"I can even stay after class and finish it here, but please... do not fail me, this class means a lot more to me than I show."

He took a moment to re-evaluate thus, "Okay, fair enough. Stay after class for detention."

"Yes! Okay I won't disappoint you and that's a promise." With that, I went back to my seat, feeling relieved.

"Okay class, I hope that was enough time to finish up reading, we're going to go over the chapter 5 section then we're done for the day." As he started his round of boredom by going over the second presentation, I blinked my eyes to focus then unconsciously... rested my head on my table. Soon later, my eyes followed my drowsiness till I had completely fallen asleep. 

Peace and silence. 

Through my intense nap, I felt an earthquake at which I woke.

"Hayley.." A whisper followed by the same repeating sounds. "HAYLEY!" I was awoken by Ben's aggressive shakes.