Chapter 4 | Distorted Reality

Around four, I felt pretty much done. I re-read the entire research assignment twice then decided to submit. It was good enough. "Okay prof, I just submitted it." I said. "I'm going to head out."

"Ms Marshalls, what are you looking to get on assignment, considering it is almost 30 percent of your grade?"

I didn't know what to say, "Is that a trick question?"

"Of course not, what is it that you want to get?"

"Uh... a 90 would be great."

"And what do you think you'll get based on your work?"

"Probably an 80?" I said, unsure.

"You have around forty minutes, you can work on it a little bit more and I'll make sure you get your desired mark."

He was actually a nicer teacher than I had imagined him to be with his typical dad looks and monotone expressions, but again, never judge a book by its cover.

I had received a text from Heather, letting me know she would wait for me longer. Though she really shouldn't have, I did appreciate it.

I texted her back with a simple thank you.

Later I had the need to go use the restroom so I excused myself for a little bit, informing the prof before I left.

Heather's POV 
I went home and returned again around 5 and continued waiting for Hayley. I realized it had been quarter past 5 and a lot later since her thank you and... she was still not out. I began texting her noisily.

Me: hayls, when you coming out? 

After waiting for a response, no reply.

I should probably go in and check up on her.

Hayley's POV
When I was done with the restroom, I left the stall to wash my hands and etc. I looked into the mirror and noticed how tired I looked and applied a light tint of concealer under my eyes then fluffed up my wavy hair. I fixed my face and hair and pulled out my phone to check for any messages. None. Then I sent a text to Heather, "Are you still waiting?" My text didn't go through, which was odd but when I checked the service bars, I found that I had no service. Just then, I heard someone walking in the halls, assuming it was either the janitor or the professor, I finished up my business and approached the door. 

I pulled the long metallic handle but it wouldn't budge. "Uh??" 

Heather's POV
I got to her lecture hall and noticed an empty class with Hayley's things in the back. 

I slowly closed the door behind me and whispered into the thin air. "Hayley?" 

No response. 

I walked closer to her desk but found no one. "Hayls?? You here?" 

Mhm it was weird, her things were here, but she wasn't.

I walked back down and towards the door as I pulled my phone out. 

As I wrote out a text, "omg where are you?" 

I turned around but was struck by horror and shock as I faced a human. I came face to face with her professor, standing tall just... 30 cm away from me, looking... directly into my eyes with a mischievous smirk.

"Oh my god!" I screeched in fear.

"Are you looking for someone?" He asked calmly as his smirk dissolved into his natural monotone expression.

I was taken back. "Uh, yeah... Hayley. Uh sorry, uh you scared me there." I lightly chuckled.

He nodded, "She actually left a while back."

I squinted my eyes in confusion, "Her things are still here though."

"She said she was in a rush and left them here."

He couldn't be serious, "Are you lying to me? She wouldn't do that-"

His face turned so serious then he twisted my arm with aggression, "You know too much," Then he struck me and everything went black.

Hayley's POV
I waited and waited. The freaking door was locked. I banged hard but nothing. Oh no, wait... did the janitor accidentally lock me up in here? 

I started hitting the door really hard. "PROFESSOR!" I yelled. "HELLO? IS ANYONE OUT THERE?" Absolutely nothing. I turned around in fear and leaned against the door, tearing up.

After three long minutes of terror, I heard someone come to the door. 

"Hello?" Someone had heard my call. And oddly, it was the professor.

"Oh my god!" I stood up and knocked back at the door. "Professor, is that you? I think the janitor may have accidentally locked me up in here."

I heard the fiddling of keys on the other side then the door opened.

I wiped off any apparent tears from my eyes and we walked back in silence. I could rub it off but something felt out of the normal.

I quickly went up, submitted my assignment and packed up my things. "Prof, I'm going to head home now... it's uh getting pretty late."

"Alright,"

I checked my phone and still no signals, something was definitely off. From the corner of my ears, I heard... almost an incoherent cry. I turned around and faced the distant storage room from where I thought it was coming. I concentrated as he caught me staring back, "I think I hear something, prof."

"Don't worry about it, have a safe night."

I seriously felt like I was going cra- did he just say... don't worry about it? I tried to ignore it as I walked to the bottom of the stairs, "Have a good weekend, prof." I said as I turned to face his desk. He wasn't there? I turned back around to the lecture-hall door and was starstruck from his sudden appearance.

He just stared at me with the most intense look.

"Uh... bye..." I VERY awkwardly said.

"You can't leave." 

Early post because Aisha couldn't wait ;)) TY FOR READING! :)))

Word Count: 980