big time memories

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

IT WAS ODDLY cinematic: the way Ella sat on the floor of Jo's guest bedroom, watching the inflatable mattress she got from one of the closets puff out into its comfortable glory.

Once putting bedsheets and blankets on it, she sprawled out, laying on her back as she stared up at the ceiling in thought.

She had to admit that the dramatic back and forth she just had with Kendall made her anxious. It tugged on her heart and not in a good way. Kendall had been the only person to ever see her cry, but now he became one of the few people that could actually make her cry. The first time was when she admitted feelings for him, and now the second time was when he broke her heart. Real funny, universe.

Ella got up and walked over to the connected bathroom. She caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. Her hair was messy and her tears were threatening to spill. She took in a deep breath, wanting to get it together. She did not want to continually be one of those girls that fell apart because of a boy. One time was already too many.

To distract herself, she placed her suitcase on its back, unzipping it. She took out the many clothes and shoes she brought, starting to put them away. Pulling out the next item, she grimaced and her stomach did flips. Apparently, blindly throwing things into a suitcase was not the best strategy because items that weren't wanted ended up coming with her.

Slowly, she pulled out the familiar cotton fabric. It was the personalized Minnesota hockey jersey Kendall had gotten her for Christmas. It was an exact replica of his, from the 'Knight' on the back to his lucky number 13. On their first date, he revealed that he chose that number on purpose because it was her birthday. However, the one difference was the few silver stars embroidered on the sleeves. Kendall went as far as to tell her that it was because she was his superstar.

Ella immediately threw it across the room, not wanting to relive all of the memories. Shaking her head, she reached in for the last item. She scoffed, realizing that the universe was just mocking her at this point. In a rush, she had managed to not only grab Kendall's hockey jersey, but also Kendall's maroon hockey hoodie. It was a great day.

She brushed over her old high school logo and the hockey sticks that were imprinted on the fabric. Ella wore it on multiple occasions, hence the fact that it was in her closet. Whether it be as pajamas or because she was too lazy to put on anything else, it served a good purpose. She looked longingly at it. The hoodie was comfortable and warm. Despite the fact that she was alone and behind closed doors, she still quickly glanced around the room, before swiftly putting the hoodie over her head. L.A. got chilly at night.

After all her clothes were inside the closet and organized, she moved on to the cardboard box she had filled up to the brim with her junk.

The first thing she pulled out were her chargers and laptop. She set it on the mattress, before continuing. Makeup and jewelry were taken out, before she facepalmed, remembering the actual important thing she left in the crib: her guitar. It was in the living room and she was going to get it after she packed up her room, but obviously, there were some distractions that made her completely forget about it. She made a mental note, reminding herself to text one of the guys to bring it to her.