big time camping

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"HE'S GOING TO say no. You know that, right?"

Ella Reed stood in the doorway of Kendall and Logan's shared room. The latter boy was currently with the rest of the their friends out in the living room, packing up their sleeping bags and some kitchen supplies. Kendall, on the other hand, stood besides his bed, stuffing clothes into a backpack.

On their day off, the boys woke up with a revelation: they haven't been on a camping trip since they moved to L.A.

Realizing that the call of the wild was calling and that they were "man-enough" to answer that call, they decided that this was the perfect time to go back to their Minnesota roots by sleeping under the stars and observing the sunrise to the sounds of the loon.

To this day, Ella still had know idea what a loon sounded like was nor did she know what it was. Back home, she let the guys rough it out on their camping trips, while she stayed with Katie to have a girls day.

This was no different. Except this time, Katie had plans to camp out in front of Big Buy to purchase the Islab 3 once it went on sale. That's why Ella decided to spend her next two days at a sleepover with Camille and Jo.

Camping was never really her thing.

The boys were all set, even having picked out a campsite called 'Bear Gulch.' However, there was one problem: Mrs. Knight couldn't drive them.

Kendall, being the problem-solver that he was, suggested that they waltz over to Rocque Records and casually ask their producer to take them there.

Ella had her doubts, but their minds were already fixated on the idea.

"Stop being such a buzzkill, El." Kendall exasperated, putting a couple more items in his bag before zipping it shut. Ella watched as he walked across his room to grab a blue mat. "You never know. He might be harboring a secret love for camping and would be delighted to take us."

Ella gave him a pointed look, "Gustavo Rocque has a hidden passion for outdoor camping. You're delusional."

"And you're a major pessimist," he shot back, giving her a smirk. She matched his expression, and they stared at one another for a second, before she shook her head, making her way fully into the room to help him pack.

"I'm just saying, don't get your hopes up, Kendork." She said, fastening the mat onto his bag.

"Yeah, yeah." Kendall nodded absentmindedly. He slightly paced around the room, face contorted into confusion at the missing item. "Where's the lantern?" He quickly retraced his steps in his head, coming to a blank. He turned to the blonde girl. "El, have you seen it?"

Ella's face was of pure innocence, but she couldn't help it as her lips quirked up into a mischievous grin. Kendall rolled his eyes, walking over to her.

He could see her hiding the light behind her back. He tried reaching for it, but she dodged him. Finally, as he held out his hand for it, she lifted it above herself, high in the air.

Only it didn't make a difference as he was over a head taller than her. He raised his eyebrow, easily taking the lantern back. "Cute," he remarked, earning a nonchalant shrug from her.

They've been better lately. Ever since her birthday, their friendship has been quickly growing back to how it was before. Ella couldn't help but smile when she thought about it. She truly was grateful for all of the effort he put in to make it special, along with cheering her up after her break up with Dak.

She didn't want to talk about it, so having someone there to distract her from feeling sad was relieving.

She laid on Kendall's bed, keeping him company as he completed his packing for the camping trip.