Elsewhere : Reflections

She left Stephan alone in the workshop with its dust coated spare equipment. She needed space, she needed to think - Stephan's question had hit a nerve.
Home ? Or ... Him ?
The question kept echoing in her head. She had told Stephan she wanted to go back because it was home, but the truth was that she couldn't bring herself to tell Stephan the truth. If she was being honest with herself, she knew the only reason she had suddenly become fond of going home from school was because of Christopher.
You made me unwittingly fall in love with the land of your birth. Christopher Jonas, will I ever learn to forget you ?
Are you the heartache I will forever remember ?
She looked forward to the conversations they had together. She had never told anyone but she'd always felt comfortable in Christopher's company. It was a feeling she couldn't explain.
Who am I kidding ? I've never felt so safe talking to someone else. I never really understood what it was like to feel safe while talking to someone. And I didn't thank you for it. Not once. And now, I may never get a chance. Even if I did get a chance to meet you, will you remember me ?
Or will I end up on that list ?
She sighed.
That list ...
The list - all the girls Christopher had charmed, flirted with, or dated and then broken up with.
You would have known, right ? Even before I did ? That I was in love with you.
She sighed again, heavily this time; she felt the tears heavy against her eyelids, not to mention the heaviness she felt in her chest.
You mustn't cry. You mustn't freaking cry.
She felt her lips tremble, and then something warm on her cheeks.
Damnit. Why ?
Was she willing to leave everything behind and leave in hopes of getting at least one glance of the boy who got her put together heart in its entirety ? Or would she stay behind to look out for the children she had sworn to protect with all she had ?
I don't know.
Had she still firmly believed in the Gods of the religion she had grown into, she would have prayed for an answer. No longer a firm believer but something else, she could only hope some kind of miracle - a coincidence or something of the sort, could give her an answer.
So much for being agnostic. I'm sorry universe, I'm just cranky ...
Maybe not.
I'm giving up ... For now.
Deep in thought, she had not noticed that she was standing in front of her bed. She gently flipped the covers over and climbed in, burying her tear stained face into the pillow.