Elsewhere : Echoes

She sat waiting on the porch after he had left. Faheem and Abbas had not brought the children and she was getting rather worried.
Suddenly, two excited shouts filled the air.
She quickly stood up and stepped down, barefoot, as the children came running towards her. She knelt, her knees in the Indian dirt, so they could hug her, like how they did everyday whenever they got back from 'play'.
Two little children rushed to her and flung their arms around her. She pulled them closer, smiling. As the children buried their faces into her shoulders, she looked up, to see Faheem and Abbas smiling at her.
Gently pulling herself away from the children' hugs, she rose, so as to speak to them. The children clung to her sides as she approached the ones who had 'returned' them.
'Thank you for bringing them home.'
'Ninte thank you ninte kaiyyil thanne vecho.'
(Keep your thank you with you.)
Abbas chuckled at Faheem's response, although he knew better. She had been brought up with proper social etiquette. Unfortunately, it extended to her friends as well. Almost everyone was used to the fact she was prim and proper in her manners, but nobody could believe she would ever use them even to her closest circle.
'Valom venno ?'
(Do you need anything ?)
'Illa, Abbas. Onnum venda.'
(No Abbas. Nothing needed.)
'Orrapalle ?'
(Sure ?)
'Oova.'
(Sure.)
'Enna sheri. Naale kaanam.'
(Okay then. See you tomorrow.)
She smiled in response, and took the children inside the trailer.
The trailer was old and worn out a bit, but it served its purpose. It provided the much needed roof over the head and she was grateful.
Once inside, she called the children to her.
'Kullikande ?'
(Don't you want to bath ?)
'Venam.'
(Yes.)
With that, she pulled the girl - the younger of the two children - and gently pulled the dirtied clothes off her. She was bathed and put in clean clothes. The same for her brother.
'Inni ithiri rest edukaan nokku.'
(Now, try to rest a little.)
The children immediately conquered the bed, as she watched. She watched them kick each other, trying to get more space and eventually fall asleep.
Watching the children brought back memories of their mother to her. Their mother had helped her and also taken care of her. It was a debt she could never repay. The least she had been able to do was to help in the little ways she could.
Your children are safe with me. I'll take care of them the way you cared for me. They'll want for nothing.
A deep voice interrupted her thoughts.
'Nee onnum marranitilla, alle ?'
(You haven't forgotten anything, have you ?)
'Engane marrakaana ?'
(How can I ?)