Back Home : The Plan

Christopher could not believe the words that escaped his lips.

His friends were staring at him, confused. He, too, was confused at his outburst.

The awkward silence by broken by Nihan.

'No, it's a stupid idea. Going to Bangalore. I mean ...'

His voice faltered. The reason needed no saying out loud.

There was not much money.

'It doesn't matter. We'll make it happen - I'll make it happen.', said Christopher, a heaviness in his voice that had nothing to do with the guarantee he had just given his friend.
The heaviness had more to do with the post of Thamrah.
Thamrah had been one of Christopher's friends, back in Saudi Arabia. They had been schoolmates. They met through one of their mutual friends - Farhan. Initially, Christopher had been hostile with Thamrah but soon, they grew to trust each other and became close friends.
After tenth grade, Christopher and Thamrah were among the many students who returned to their natives for the last two years of school.

Christopher made it through school.

Unfortunately, Thamrah didn't.

Thamrah went missing during a family trip to Wayanad. Missing person complaints and posters had been out, various search parties had been sent but nobody could find her. They had been forced to conclude that she was gone ... Gone forever.

There was no trace of her anywhere.

Christopher never realized how much she meant to him until he came to know of the happening.
Thamrah had always wanted to be free; she had grown up in a strict household. Now that he saw the post with her in it, he felt that he owed it to her - taking Nihan on a road trip to Bangalore.

Ohh, yes. Thamrah would have been proud.

Christopher grabbed Nihan by his shoulders, looked him in the eye and said it.

'Namukk pogaam.'
(Let's go.)

'Venda. Vaapikku sukhamilla. Njaan allathe vere aarum illa.'
(No. My father isn't well. He doesn't have anyone except me.)

'Nee povanam.'
(You should go.)

The speaker was Isobelle. She stood up - eyes wet and voice strong - and faced Christopher and Nihan.

'Nee povanam. Avar indavum ninte koode. Nammal okke oru kudumbathinne polle alle ? Ithu ninnak vendi aanu.'
(You should go. They will be with you. We're like a family, aren't we ? This is for you.)

Thank you Isobelle !

The battle was won and Christopher knew it. He met Isobelle's eyes and winked. She winked back.

Nihan looked nervous but he reluctantly agreed to it.

'Pakshe, vaapiyye aaru nokkum ?'
(But who will take care of my father ?)

Zayyed and Akhila answered jointly.

'Athokke ind.'
(That's there.)

'Enna sheri, ellaam set.'
(That's settled. All ready now.)

Nihan still looked nervous. Isobelle pulled him away, with the excuse of wanting more pazhamporis.

The moment Nihan left with Isobelle, the rest of them put their heads together and made a plan.
The plan was for Christopher, Zayyed, Sourav and Nihan to leave together for Bangalore.

Isobelle and Akhila were to stay behind to help care for Nihan's father. Nihan's father was to be taken to a place where Akhila's father had contacts. There, Isobelle and Akhila would visit Nihan's father daily and tend to his needs. Nihan's expenses would be on the boys as they knew he could not afford to put in much money for the trip.

'That's settled then.', said Sourav happily as Nihan and Isobelle returned with a plate full of pazhamporis.

'Mmm mm.', answered Christopher, who had already attacked the plate brought in.
Within a few minutes, the plate was emptied. And the whole lot happily rode back to the beach.
The sky was cloudy and the wind seemed to add to their spirits. Akhila and Isobelle pulled Nihan away with them, leaving Christopher, Zayyed and Sourav to talk.

'You have to convince your parents.',said Sourav.

'I know.', returned Christopher.

'Damn, this Stephin is such an asshole, huh ?', asked Zayyed.

'Yeah, he is. He ...'

Christopher's voice trailed away as he heard his phone ring.

Natasha.

What happened ? What now ?

'Nat ? What is it ?'

'I've news and you won't like it.'

'What news ?'

'Stephin' s family will be staying over today.'

FAAAAAAAAAACK !

'Fuck !'

'Double time fuck, actually.'

'Damn it.'

'Sorry bro, I gotta go now.'

'Okay. Bye.'

Christopher sighed, out of exasperation.

Zayyed and Sourav had grim expressions on their faces.

'That bad, huh ?', asked Zayyed.

'Tough luck mate.', put in Sourav.

'Just my luck.', returned Christopher.

'Well, not to be insensitive or anything, but let's go join them ?', asked Sourav.

'Yeah. C'mon bro.', answered Zayyed, a punch to Christopher's shoulder.
Christopher smiled and let himself walk away with his brothers.

He was going to make it happen. He had to make it happen. He owed it to Nihan. And most of all, he owed to Malavika, of whom he had no news.

Damn that asshole ! Stephin or no Stephin ! I will take Nihan to Bangalore ! Nihan will be happy before he leaves ! There !

Christopher, however, had to think fast and smart if he were to convince his parents. With Stephin around, it would not work but he had to try.

However, he chose to worry about it later and messed around with his friends. It felt good and he knew that everyone would forget about the plan in the midst of the frolic.

About four, the gang decided to hit the road and made their way back to the bikes.

'Dude, convince your parents and fast !'