The verdict

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

„In the end, we will remember
not the words of our enemies,
but the silence of our friends."

Serena didn't know exactly how she had managed to get into the cellar of Honeydukes, then through the tunnel and back into the castle. In any case, it seemed to her that she had made her way back in no time at all.

Perhaps it was because she hadn't really been paying attention to what she was doing. Her mind was still reeling with the words of the conversation she had just overheard. She hadn't even looked at Harry and they had all remained silent throughout the walk back.

When they had finally arrived at the common room after saying goodbye to Nate, the Gryffindor had virtually run to her dormitory. It had been empty, to her relief, because she needed some time to herself. She threw herself onto the bed and buried her head into the pillow. She waited for the tears, but they remained. She felt so incredibly empty, emotionless. The dormitory door opened. "Serena?" she heard Hermione's voice ask uncertainly.

But Serena didn't move, pretending to sleep instead. The slamming of the door signalled to her that the year's best must have left again, whereupon she turned onto her back. Her eyes were wide open and fixed on the red canopy of her bed. Her mind, meanwhile, was haunted by Malfoy's words; "Thinking of trying to catch Black single-handed, Potter? I'd have done something before now. I wouldn't be staying in school like a good boy. I'd be out there looking for him, and with your little friend Black I wouldn't want to talk anymore."

Malfoy had known all along, and the worst part was that he was right. How could Harry still be friends with her after that?

Serena hadn't found sleep until dawn. When she woke up just a few hours later, the dormitory was deserted. She took her time in the bathroom and finally descended the spiral staircase into the common room, where only Ron sat eating a peppermint toad and Hermione had her homework spread out over three tables. The latter eyed her warily, "It's lunch time already, I was just going upstairs to wake you up."

"Yeah, we've been waiting for you and Harry for an hour," Ron added, rubbing his stomach in unnecessary reproach. Silently, Serena dropped into an armchair by the fire. Outside the windows it was still snowing, but at that moment the Gryffindor took little pleasure in it. Hermione's gaze still rested on her, punctuated by a deep crease on her forehead, "You really don't look well," she finally stated with concern.

"I'm fine," Serena affirmed, even though she didn't believe the words herself.

"Listen, Serena," she began again, exchanging a quick glance with Ron, "you must be really upset about yesterday. And we know you're not well at all, but you mustn't block it out, talk to us, we can tell how much it's bothering you."