The last doubts

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"The boy who carried
his last name
like a burden."

Harry, meanwhile, had raised his wand and without hesitation pointed it at the cursing Potions teacher. "Expelliarmus!" he shouted, though his voice was not the only one that had cast that spell. There was a bang that nearly knocked the door off its hinges. Snape was knocked off his feet, he crashed into the wall and slid down it to the floor like a wet sack. A small red trickle emerged from under his greasy black hair on his forehead.

When he did not start cursing the teenagers, there was no doubt that he had fainted. "You shouldn't have done that," Sirius whispered, and although Serena had stumbled in his direction earlier, clearly positioning herself on one side, she now took two steps back again. She avoided his grey eyes, which looked at her with both gratitude and hope. She was still not quite sure that she had made the right decision.

"We attacked a teacher... we attacked a teacher..." whimpered Hermione, staring with fear-filled eyes at the lifeless Snape. She had her hands pressed over her mouth as she did so, as if she herself was surprised at what she was capable of.

Lupin, meanwhile, was struggling with his bonds, at which point his former friend rushed to his aid. Serena resumed her position in front of the door and braced herself. Just in case. If there was even the slightest inconsistency in their story, she would immediately run to the castle for help.

Finally, Lupin straightened up and rubbed the places on his arms where the rope had left deep cuts. His smile looked tortured. "Thank you."

But his goddaughter did not return his smile. "If I'm not back by curfew, the next teachers will show up here," Serena muttered in a trembling voice, crossing both arms in front of her chest. It was supposed to be a threat, but she heard it herself, sounding about as threatening as a Puffskein. Which, in the case of her godfather, might still have an effect if he wanted to play a false game with her again.

"Then it's time we prove it," he replied, looking both surprised and concerned at her statement, before stepping expertly towards Ron. "Ron, please give me Peter. Now."

Ron hugged his pet even tighter to his chest and continued to try to talk his way out of it. Suddenly he seemed to regret that he too had helped to incapacitate Snape. "Well, let's say Pettigrew could turn into a rat, there are millions of rats!"

"It's missing a toe, isn't it?" his teacher asked, seeming calm again after the fiasco with his former classmate. "All they found of Pettigrew was..."

"A finger!" Hermione slapped her hands over her mouth again in horror after finishing his sentence.

"Oh come on, Scabbers probably got into it with another rat. He's been in my family forever."