𝑷𝒓𝒐𝒍𝒐𝒈𝒖𝒆

• Prologue •

• Prologue •

„The saddest thing about betrayal
is that it never comes
from your enemies."

October 31st, 1981.
A man, no older than 21, sat in his black leather chair by the window and stared out into the stormy night. Dense rain made it almost impossible to perceive anything in the dark, but the man did not seem to care, as he was a prisoner of his thoughts at that very moment.

The only source of light came from an extinguished fire, which still burned bright enough that the remaining embers illuminated the room and encased it in a red glow. The owner of the house, however, did not attempt to change the fact that complete darkness would soon surround him entirely.

Thick ebony hair fell on his shoulders and framed his handsome face. Absently, his stormy grey eyes were set on the street at the other side of the window. Sirius Black's thoughts belonged to the things he lost. So many of his former classmates had paid with their lives because of the war that was still raging in the wizarding world. Only in the last five months, fifteen members of the order of the Phoenix had been killed in battle or kidnapped in raids by death eaters. Events like these made him fear for his life and for that of his friends, but he had to keep it calm. Fear petrifies its prey and whoever got petrified was an easy victim.

The sorrow that had fallen upon the wizarding world, still felt surreal to Sirius. He couldn't allow himself to involve an outsider in this misery. Again and again he tried to convince himself that it had been the right decision to leave Katherine.

It wouldn't have been right to drag her into this war, which was not even hers after all. Katherine was a Muggle and the death eaters would most likely drop everything they're doing just to torture her. Especially if they would find out how much she meant to him. In their eyes, she would be the key to Lily and James. Of course, Voldemort would assume that Sirius was their Secret-keeper, which was indeed true. At least until a few days ago.

The ghost of a smile appeared on his young face by the thought of Katherine. At first he had only gone out with the girl to annoy his parents. In their eyes, it was already a misdemeanor to look at a muggle. Sirius never expected to fall in love with the girl with the warmest brown eyes he had ever seen.

Katherine knew about his world, but that did not mean that she was safe, at least not in his presence. He missed the time when they sat together with his friends James, Lily, Remus, and Peter in their living room together and told each other stories. Katherine and Lily would talk about what it was like to live with muggles; Sirius, James, Remus, and Peter would talk about their good old marauder days. On those evenings, they felt as if they could forget the war that was raging outside their doors at least for a little while.

When he thought of his friends, Sirius Black had to smile again. And then there was Harry. Sirius' smile intensified by the thought of the little marauder.