Dangerous grounds

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"The story depends
on who is telling it."

Alone, Serena made her way to her first class of Arithmancy, as Hermione had suddenly disappeared in one of the corridors. On the last stairs up to the seventh floor, the girl with the bushy hair finally met her again. "Where do you come from?" Serena asked in amazement.

Hermione gasped for air, "I just forgot something."

Serena nodded hesitantly, as the fact that Hermione Granger forgot her stuff just didn't want to get in her head. A small group of Ravenclaw students had already gathered outside the classroom, and Hailey was just walking around the corner with two of her housemates, "Hey!" the Hufflepuff greeted with a big smile on her face, whereas leaning exhausted against the wall, "I thought we were late."

Professor Vector was an inconspicuous woman, despite her rather above-average size. Serena must have seen her many times in the castle, but apparently she had never really noticed the teacher. Wordlessly, she closed the door behind her new students and examined one by one.

"Welcome," she said in a calm voice, which was fortunately not at all drowsy like Professor Binns', "For those who don't know, Arithmancy is a mixture of Arithmatics and fortune-telling."

Disgruntled, Serena stared at her new teacher, suppressing a desperate groan, as she was already fed up with Divination. With mixed feelings, she tried to force herself to follow Professor Vector's further words, "Well, Arithmancy uses numbers to interpret the future or fate. It is therefore also called numerology."

As it turned out by the end of the lesson, Arithmancy didn't seem to have much to do with Trelawney's fortune telling. In fact, just before class ended, Serena had even managed to translate her name into numbers, now being able to calculate her heart number, social number and character number.

With new euphoria for the school year, she sat in the late afternoon in the Gryffindor common room and was still surprised by how much fun she had. Much to Ron's dislike, as the redhead stared at her as if she had just turned into a unicorn, "I still don't understand how you could choose this." he chomped with his mouth full of chocolate frogs, "That sounds totally boring!"

Serena shrugged her shoulders and raised her eyebrows almost up to her hairline, "It was by far better than Divination!" She remarked defiantly and rose up to leave the tower.

A few minutes later, she found herself standing in the school library and didn't quite know where to go. In fact, her plan had been, for once, to do her homework early and to get some books for research purposes. But for some reason all motivation had left her.

Indecisive, she let her gaze wander through the room and over her classmates sitting at the tables or wandering through the shelves. She was glad that someone else took the decision what to do from her when she saw Nate waving to her. With prying eyes, she went to his table, where he had settled down with some other Ravenclaws, and sat down on the free chair next to her best friend, "We really need to spend more time together again." he greeted her, "Especially after you just left me behind during the holidays. I hope you're not otherwise engaged at the moment."