A godfather's duty

• Remus Lupin •

• Remus Lupin •

"You are a golden thing
in this heavy,
heavy world."

As Remus made his way to the Quidditch pitch the next day, a wave of excitement swept over him. The Gryffindors and Ravenclaws were dressed in their house colours and heatedly discussing which team would win. There was a sense of festivity in the air regarding the event that immediately swept everyone away. One would think that the games would have been similar to a festive occasion such as Christmas for the students. Remus remembered well how he himself had cheered and cheered along with his friends at the time.

"Professor Lupin!"

Remus turned in the direction from which the wind had brought the call to his ears and saw four girls running down the path towards him. It wasn't hard to guess which team they would be cheering for, because in addition to their blue/silver scarves, they were also carrying Ravenclaw posters. The teacher greeted them with a smile and a "Good morning."

"Which team will you be cheering for?" one of the girls with long blonde hair, who he could match to the name Hanna, asked him. Remus was glad he had no trouble learning names quickly. Even the quiet ones across the room he could remember by name. Because as he had often found out himself, it was those students who actually had the most to say.

"I always cheer for the team that has the quaffle," Remus tried to dodge the question, although it wasn't even a lie. Because if he didn't have a favourite, he usually just cheered for the team with the better chance. Today, however, of course, he had a favourite...

"Gryffindor has two Firebolts!" one of the other girls interjected, adjusting her glasses, disappointment flashing in the blue eyes behind them, "It's going to be hard to top that."

"But we have Cho Chang!" remarked Hanna immediately, "Besides, it doesn't matter how fast the broom is, does it Professor?"

"Oh yes, of course it doesn't," Remus replied quickly, still a little perplexed at having become so suddenly involved in the conversation, having long since returned to his thoughts.

"Seekers need good eyes and..."

But Remus wasn't even listening to his students anymore, instead he was now searching the crowd for Serena's dark mop of hair. He really wanted to wish her good luck and apologise to her before the game would begin. However, he couldn't spot the Gryffindor anywhere in the commotion.

The girls were still talking when they finally reached the field. Politely, Remus said goodbye and climbed up the bleachers to the teacher's seats. Panting, he dropped into one of the empty seats, realising that he had once been more athletic too. It was like another painful reminder of how long his own school days had been a thing of the past. But the former student quickly lost himself in the fantastic view that presented itself. He watched the last spectators enter the field and let his eyes wander over the numerous colourful posters. The Ravenclaws were a gigantic blue mass, while red and gold polarised on the other side.