Bitter truths

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated
with great caution"

Serena was awakened the next morning by the unpleasant heat of the midday sun, which seemed to have turned her room into a sauna over the night and caused the raindrops on the other side of the window to evaporate completely. Grumbling, she turned around, looking at the clock. Startled, she noticed that she had snored away most of the day.

"Bloody jet lag," she cursed, however, she still didn't make no move to get out of her cozy beddings. Last night's experience wandered through her head. At least, she now knew the answer why her father never had came forward. He had been sitting in prison supervised for an act that caused her blood to freeze in her veins.

Distressed, she pondered about how many people in Hogwarts might have known about her father's whereabouts and thought about her with prejudices. What did they think about someone who had such a relative? Certainly the teachers knew about it, and Serena wondered whether any of them had ever treated her differently.

Professor Snape hated her, she was pretty certain about that. Actually, he seemed to loathe all the Gryffindors. Especially Neville, Harry and her were on his hit list. He hated Neville because he sucked at potions, obviously Harry because he was famous, but Serena never understood the reason he couldn't stand her. She got quite good grades and never really stood out in her first year. It was only when he had made her life miserable that she had fought back. But perhaps he hated her because he knew what her father had done.

Serena was pretty sure that her classmate Draco Malfoy wasn't completely clueless either.
In fact, the words he first addressed to her at Hogwarts Express finally made sense to her. "Black? Well, I better keep on the right side with you. Who knows what might happen to me?"

Malfoy, of course, did not mean what he had said. He certainly hadn't kept on the right side with her. But what about the other students? Would they think Serena would do something to them? Harm then? Or worse?

After all, Serena couldn't even step on a beetle without feeling bad. But what if there was a different side of her hidden deep within her soul? What if bloodlust was in fact inheritable?

Sighing, the late riser finally sat up and came out of her sweaty bedding. Wet strands of hair stuck to her skin and made her think to sleep without the blanket next time it is that warm at night. Nevertheless, she could not deny that sleep was so much better wrapped up completely in a down duvet.

Serena's legs dangled over the bed, barely touching the floor. Since last night's news, she wasn't able to think about anything else.
However, the very reason for this report had nearly bypassed her completely; her father had broken out and was still at large.

The Heart of the Gryffindor skipped a beat and hurriedly she jumped up to ran to her window.
The view was expectedly the same as every day. Some children played in the vast playground in front of her house and some older couples walked along the sunny streets of the suburb.