Bad jokes

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"For in dreams,
we enter a world that is
entirely our own."

As if it gave her security, Serena groped for the rough fabric of the armchair and dug her fingertips into the lined armrest. After her sharp outcry, which had given her presence away, she pressed her hand in front of her mouth and still had to assimilate the fact that she almost had been shashlik on a skewer. Her thoughts went head over heels and she wasn't able to hold on to one of them, let alone guess what the bloody hell just happened or who this ominous visitor was.

There was no sign of life from the fat lady, leaving Serena to wonder if a painting could die. With her breath held, the Gryffindor just stared at the puncture hole without responding. A teacher surely wouldn't be stabbing a knife into common rooms, even though it was Halloween. Also, the voice didn't seem remotely familiar to her. Nor did it sound like one of her classmates.

The dark-haired girl took a step forward, still holding a respectful distance from the entrance, "What do you want?" she finally asked with a voice that sounded braver than she felt. Her trembling legs threatened to give in at any moment.

"This may not sound like a good idea to you, but I swear to Merlin that nothing will happen to you if you just let me in for a moment. I have a matter to deal with." it came from the other side of the portrait.

Was that supposed to be a threat? Serena laughed dryly, "That really doesn't sound like a good idea."

Serena tried to control her breathing when a very unpleasant thought shot through her head. At the moment there was only one wizard whose goal would be to get into the castle. In addition, into the Gryffindor common room. Hot and cold shivers ran down her spine. Was she actually just a few feet away from her father at that very moment? Suddenly, she felt the little courage she had left, also leaving her body.

What if the portrait wouldn't withstand another stab with a knife? Could she jump out of the window if necessary? Probably not, she was in a tower after all! Serena felt all the emotions flowing into her at once, by the thought that this man was indeed her father. It wasn't just fear and anger, it was also curiosity, "Why should I let you in, anyway?" she asked quietly, but her collocutor seemed to have heard her. But instead of responding to her question, he asked one himself, "What's your name?"

"That's none of your business," she stammered and was no longer sure whether she wanted to be respectful to a psychopath who was perhaps her father.

"Well, I'm Sirius. Could you kindly open the door for me now?" he growled, but instead of following his request, Serena took another step back. It could only be a bad joke! Someone wanted to scare her to death on Halloween. And it worked damn well again!

She defiantly folded both arms in front of her chest and didn't know what to think anymore, "Why would I do that?"

"How about we solve this differently..." Her perhaps father sighed, and instinctively Serena backed to the chair again. Uncertainty spread inside of her, what if it wasn't a joke and the door was blown open at every moment? Instead, she was asked the probably least expected question, "Do you know a rat that one of your housemates has as a pet?"