At least once

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"But maybe,
just maybe, today is the one
that changes everything."

Serena sat on a shabby chair in Professor Lupin's office. She was bent over her paper, concentrating. The sun, which was only faintly shining through the window, was just about to set. She had almost finished writing, but she was sure that it would not be light long enough for her to finish her task without another source of light.

Anyway, she had firmly resolved to finish before Buckbeak was executed, to stand by her friends and Hagrid. She fervently hoped she would make it in time. Serena cast a cursory glance at her godfather, who was staring intently at his desk. The only sounds in the office were the writing of Serena's pen, the crackling fire in the fireplace and the soft hum of the Puffskein she had already taken to her heart.

All of a sudden, however, this pleasant silence was broken. In one leap, Professor Lupin was on his feet, his wand clutched so tightly that his knuckles stood out white. She stared at him in amazement, wondering what's bugging him. He remained like that for a few seconds, his expression as petrified as that of the basilisk's victims in their second year at school.

"Serena, please wait here until I come back," he finally said in a certain tone of voice and, with one last look he gave her, stormed out the door with his cloak billowing. Completely perplexed, Serena stared after him as the door fell shut behind him and silence enveloped her again. This time, however, the silence was not soothing, but almost oppressive. How could she continue to work in peace after what had just happened?

Hesitantly, she got up and went to the desk where the marauder's map still lay spread out on some corrected essays. She immediately noticed the parchment with the robotic writing that looked as if it had been typed on a typewriter. Only one she knew had such a way of writing. The O next to the name Nathan Novak confirmed her suspicions. Her fingers itched to pick out Malfoy's essay, which they were supposed to hand in last lesson, and turn the note into a T. But this was certainly not the time.

Her gaze fell back to the outline of Hogwarts. Of course, it hadn't escaped her notice how Lupin had dug it out of his drawer and opened it. That he hadn't even bothered to at least close it again set alarm bells ringing in her head.

Serena followed the ink figure labelled Remus Lupin as he fled the castle at a rapid pace and then continued on his way to Hagrid's hut. Was he going to intervene in Buckbeak's execution or keep Hagrid company while it happened? Suddenly, however, he changed course.

Holding her breath, she finally spotted a small cluster of ink figures running higgledy-piggledy by the Whomping Willow. Right in the direction the teacher had taken. Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger and Peter Pettigrew.