Buckbeak's fate

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"Help someone,
you earn a friend.
Help someone too much,
you make an enemy."

June had come faster than Serena would have liked and so the exams were right around the corner. She would have loved to celebrate the victory for a while longer, but she also had to realise that she had more important things to concentrate on.

The sun's rays falling through the window into the common room felt good on her pale face. She listened to Harry and Ron only half-heartedly as they quizzed her about potion ingredients. Ron promptly fell silent and turned away ignorantly as Hermione climbed through the portrait hole and came towards them with quick steps.

Hermione paid no attention to the redhead's narrow-mindedness and instead held a letter up in the air in front of her as she announced with trembling lips, "I just thought you should know ... Hagrid has lost the trial. They're going to execute Buckbeak."

Serena took the damp parchment from her and tried to read the words with a thick lump in her throat. Huge tears had blurred the ink so much in places that some of it was hard to decipher.

Dear Hermione,
We lost. I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed. 
Beaky has enjoyed London.
I won't forget all the help you gave us.
Hagrid

Serena handed the letter to Harry, who began to read it silently. "They can't do this," she muttered, overwhelmed, simply unable to believe that they would kill a creature over such nonsense. Her heart felt heavy at the injustice and the thought of poor Buckbeak not knowing what was going to happen to him.

"Malfoy's father intimidated the committee," Hermione said, wiping her brown eyes. "You know what he's like. They're a bunch of doddery old fools, and they were scared. There'll be an appeal, though, there always is. Only I can't see any hope... Nothing will have changed. "

"Yeah, it will." Ron seemed to have completely forgotten his anger all of a sudden. "You're not alone this time, Hermione, I'll help you."

"Oh Ron!" Sobbing desperately, she threw her arms around his neck as Ron patted her head, completely at a loss, shyly. But it was a step in the right direction and even if Serena would have liked a different scenario for it, she was glad that the two of them had apparently made up.

"Ron, I'm really terribly sorry about Scabbers..." she said, pulling the redhead even closer to her. She had closed her eyes as if she never wanted to let go of this moment, while her running tears dripped onto the floor in front of her, leaving nothing but salty puddles on it.