A night in the forest

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"Meet me in the middle of your story
when the soul is worn but wise."

It was early in the evening when Serena could no longer stand her thoughts and decided to pay her godfather another visit. He was the only one she could talk to about her father. The only one who understood what was going on inside her right now.

It was close to curfew, so she didn't want to waste any time. Hastily, she threw a cloak over her school uniform, which she still wore, and sneaked out of her dormitory and the common room. The wind whistled through the corridors, for someone seemed to have forgotten to close the windows. Shivering, Serena wrapped her cloak tighter around her body, like a sleeping bat.

"Are you going to help your daddy get back into the castle again?" she heard a mocking voice behind her. It was the group that had harassed her before, when she had also been on her way to see Professor Lupin. This time, however, they seemed to have literally ambushed her. With her arms crossed, Serena continued unperturbed, trying to hide her uncertainty and merely rolling her eyes. "Still have nothing better to do?"

"Lupin won't help you this time," one of the taller ones grinned and stood in her way. Two heads taller, he was at least twice as wide as she was. As she tried to worm her way past him, unperturbed, she was grabbed roughly by his friends. Her fingers groped for her wand, but her hands were already in an iron grip.

No matter how much she twisted and turned, she couldn't manage to escape the situation alone. "Let go of me!" she hissed and began to use her elbows, which came to nothing, just like her knees.

Suddenly the group started to move and Serena was dragged towards the exit by the two lacquer monkeys, her mouth held tightly shut so that she could not make a sound. This time the students seemed to really want to put their plan into practice. Where were the patrolling teachers when they were needed? It was almost a miracle that they didn't meet anyone on the way, despite the approaching curfew, and before she knew it they were outside.

Serena was shivering all over by now. Whether from fear or from the cold, she couldn't tell. She tried in vain to kick, bite or scream. She glanced desperately at Hagrid's hut as she was dragged across the lawn of the estates. There, smoke escaped the chimney, but a light did not burn in the small dwelling, bursting her hopes like a soap bubble.

The forest lay darker and more dangerous than ever before her. Normally the cool air calmed her, but at that moment it cut into her lungs like razor blades. Her heart was pounding up to her throat, threatening to leap out of her chest. Every crack of undergrowth made her flinch, yet it was merely herself tripping over the foliage.