Chapter Twenty Three

I, thankfully, wasn't being tortured in a dark room

Instead, I was simply locked in a dark room for 9 days. The only way I could keep up with the days passing by was because of the fact I received two meals per day.

I hadn't expected this to go the way it was but I couldn't say that I was complaining.

That night, I walked home and I could feel someone following me and as I presumed Roger had grabbed me from the back. I hadn't struggled much and soon enough I was knocked out because of the similar piece of clothing that he had forcefully pushed against my face.

When I woke up I was in an empty and dark room. There was a small bathroom and that was about it. Some guy came and gave me food which consisted of a fruit and water and sometimes (rarely) a sandwich for the second meal.

But now I wasn't in the room anymore.

I had woken up in a moving truck. When I blinked my eyes open I felt panic surge in my chest before realizing that I wasn't the only one here.

I looked around me to see that there were about 15 other girls with me. Some of them looked terrified and others seemed dead.

Not literally, but their expressions were blank and there wasn't an ounce of emotion in their eyes. It was as though all hopes had left them and they decided to stop fighting.

My gaze drifted towards the dark skinned girl that was sitting across from me. Her hair was pushed back and I could clearly see her eyes from where I was. They looked just as dead as the other girls.

Stella.

The brightness I had once seen on her face was gone. She looked like she lost a lot of weight and her shoulders were drooped.

"Stella?" I whispered and her head shot up to stare at me with surprise.

The other girls don't even pay attention to us and the truck continues to roll in silence except from the loud laughter of the men at the other side.

"How-how do you know my name?" She whispered back to me.

"I-I'm friends with Aster. He talked about you all the time." I told her and her eyes brimmed with tears.

"Aster?" She whimpered. "He's okay?"

"He's okay." I told her. "He misses you a lot and I'm sure he'd want to tell you how much he loves you."

"How did you end up here?" She asked but before I could respond the truck came to a stop and the other girls straightened up.

The door of the back of the truck opened and an unfamiliar man motioned for us to come outside. I silently followed behind the girls.

I realized that we were already inside a dark building and as we walked in deeper and deeper I could start to hear voices.

We must be at the auction.